Sign in to follow this  
timthetinyhorse

the project has started

after much pondering i have decided rather than lower etc im going to get my stock 16v back to factory condition by the end of the year, so today i made a start, its going to be a long drawn out process as its my daily driver so cant take it off the road but i supose thats just part of the challenge, thought i would stick a few pics up of what i got up too today, i know caliper aint aint standard but looks better than rust, let me know what your thoughts are, any advice is greatly apreciated as im new to all this stuff,

sorry if this post is too pic heavy

1st of all was to sort the flaking laquer on the wing mirror, so rubbed down with 1500 wet and dry then gave it a few coats of laquer, have to say its come up realy well!! for some daft reason i forgot to take a pic after it was done

SDC10089.jpg

next on the list was to sort the rust on the door so ground down the rusty areas first then rebuilt with plastic padding, once the padding had gone off that was flushed up with wet and dry, next the primer was applied, 2 coats in all then the paint, 3 coats, then 2 coats of laquer. all that is left is to buff the laquer in tomorow once its had plenty time to qure. the following pics show the process, more pics will be posted once the laquer has been buffed up and iv got more to report on the body work

SDC10091.jpg

SDC10097.jpg

SDC10092.jpg

SDC10093.jpg

SDC10096.jpg

SDC10098.jpg

SDC10099.jpg

SDC10105.jpg

SDC10106.jpg

the next thing to do was sort out the tatty looking brake calipers, nice simple task of wire brushing all the loose rust and old paint off and applying 3 good layers of paint,

SDC10090.jpg

SDC10104.jpg

SDC10103.jpg

SDC10102.jpg

SDC10101.jpg

and to finish off a few of the car, pics of the car have allready been osted but these do it more justice as it now has a few good layers of wax on it

SDC10082.jpg

SDC10085.jpg

SDC10087.jpg

LOOKS GOOD FELLA

i would like to see a couple of close ups of your repairs all finished

look like your doing a great job and nice looking car too!!

yeh will get some close ups of the repairs tomorow once buffed, im not expecting miricals as its my first go but its looking ok so far i recon, will post more tomorow or the day after

looks good mate, hope it all blends in well. Was doing this for the past 3 days to my roof. Take your time and it will look spot on.

had to do a simular job on mine pics below

had a nice person trash the rear arch in asda one day never found out who!

went fron this

14052008144-1.jpg

to this

corradoaug08005-2.jpg

gotta do the dent below the rear light but i wanted to see how it looked if i did it my self

i was quite happy with the results

cool looking very smart. fancy doing mine :lol: should look good if the paint has been matched well.

i got 2 spray cans from halfords to touch few bits up. one was spot on and the other was way too dark. muppetts. so annoying

cool looking very smart. fancy doing mine :lol: should look good if the paint has been matched well.

i got 2 spray cans from halfords to touch few bits up. one was spot on and the other was way too dark. muppetts. so annoying

got my paint from paints4u.com very good match

had mt paint custom mixed as halfords didnt have the correct paint code, have to say im glad i did, its a perfect mathc, didnt get a chance to buff the laquer down tonight as got held up at work so hoping to get it done tomorow and get some pics posted, real happy with the results so far

millerman yours looks real good, especialy as you had to do a area that catches light from ever angle

looking good mate. loking foward to seeing what the final result of this is like, i have never ben sure about the halfords fizzy cans. summot about em that makes me go ug :?

yeh i dont do halfords cans like, the stuf i got is from a place that my dad always uses and its realy good quality, cant wait to have the car in showroom condition for shows next year!!!

ha ha

been saying that since march when i decided to get mine back on the road after 2 years

still have not got around to getting the mot but have done most of the work to it

gonna try and get the mot next week :D

cant wait to drive my VR again

A dremel is always good for grounding back rust etc when paintin calipers etc. Personally id have taken the calipers off to paint. Good with the door!

Good work Tim! Keep us updated.

A dremel is always good for grounding back rust etc when paintin calipers etc. Personally id have taken the calipers off to paint. Good with the door!

Good work Tim! Keep us updated.

well got a load of close up pics as got the car buffed down today but the laptop has decided it dont want to read the pics for some reason, its all a bit odd as it managed the other day, anyhow its rained on it now so will sort some pics once the car has been washed and waxed again, possibly on saturday or after im back from my holidyas, next on the list for when i get back is get the new light put in to smarten up the front end and start detailing the engine bay, intake manifold is getting sent away to be restored :-)

also need to get the wheels refurbd as they are a little shabby,

Good job, Im going to try something similar on my door as well soon. If your not showing the car and its not noticable from a few feet away then thats all that matters.

One thing though, did you use any rust removal products as it will just have sat it the tiny pores even when you took it back to bare metal?

I got some of this special Gel stuff that I cannot remember the name off. You take it back to bare metal and throw this stuff on for 48hrs.

Oh and another thing, if getting paint just go to your dealer as they can order up spray cans from your paint code. I did it with a wing mirror and its a perfect match, Halfords is shit paint if Im honest. You also have to watch with metallics as the amount of lacquer you use seems to effect the final colour match.

I've spoken to the dealers already, quoted about £6.50 inc VAT for a can.

Was thinking of using a product called Metal Ready to treat mine after I take it back (a spray to kill the rust and etch prime in one).

I've spoken to the dealers already, quoted about £6.50 inc VAT for a can.

Was thinking of using a product called Metal Ready to treat mine after I take it back (a spray to kill the rust and etch prime in one).

IIRC you get the primer and paint for that though. Its worth spending a little extra. Ive used it on my wing mirror and its held up well so far.

Heres the stuff Ive got for removing rust http://www.bilthamber.com/deoxgel.html

Not tried it yet but will do in the next couple of week hopefully. Luckily Ive got an old wing to practice on first.

its been a while so i now have some updates, since last posting i have wound the coilovers all the way down, bought and painted my new wheels, polly bushed the front end and fitted new droplinks so there has been plenty going on, anyway i will let the pics speak for themselves

as usual any comments would be welcome

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

163.jpg

165.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg