Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

HELP!!! Dead Mk4 golf

...i know this is a corrado forum but its the only forum i use. hope someone can help...

got a 2000 2.0gti - looks and drives like a new car - except...

twice now i've jumped in and tried to start it - turns over fine but its as if theres no spark - turns fine, full of petrol but nothing at all. if you keep cranking it, after more than 30 secs the dash board "STOP" light comes up with oil pressure light - is this a normal mk4 thing? the bottom end seems fine.

the first time it happened checked the timing belt, plug leads etc and found it was very low on oil so topped it up and it started a few minutes later. thought it was some safety feature when it was low on oil to stop it starting.

changed the oil and its worked for a week but droe 3-4 miles last night, stopped for 30 mins and then it wouldn't start again. got to go back today to see if it starts or if i need to tow it away.

the car is totally mint with full vw history and give no indications of any engine issues.

any suggestions???

Im sure its a normal thing with the mark 4 when the stop light comes on ect when you crank it for to long, but as for the non start,have you pluged it in to vagcom? and if you look on the back of the air box,you should see an electrical amplifier with two mulitplugs either end....do you have this? these are prone to breaking down under heat,and this is the amplifier for the coilpacks,but they tend to drop an odd cylinder off when they go wrong.

other than that is could be a duff crank sensor,but you should have vagcom with you when it goes wrong.