Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Anyone got any idea how much...

the following would cost at a Volkswagen dealership...

- clean and grease front and rear brake calipers

- fit new fuel filter (including price of filter)

Obviously, I'm only hoping to get a rough idea.

Cheers.

probably charge you 2 hours labour :p so about £80 in labour plus any grease they have to use! lol has to be specific of course :roll:

probably charge you 2 hours labour :p so about £80 in labour plus any grease they have to use! lol has to be specific of course :roll:

£80 notes for two hours labour you'll be lucky try more like £160 at the stealers

when you say clean and grease, do you mean the slider pins on the rear? vw labour rate was £95 p/h last time i checked! :eek: and nas above fuel filter is v easy, save yourself the best part of £200+ and tackle it one weekend?

As above, these are pretty easy DIY jobs, especially the fuel filter. I managed to change one on my last VR without even jacking the car up. May be worth having a good look under the car to see if the housing needs changing (really cheap from VW) + get some new jubilees. Mine had never been changed and the housing was in bits. 10 min job.

Ya, I should have explained it a bit better, the brakes have been squeaking and driving me crazy, plus they've been a tad spongy (pads/discs are fine).

So now the pedal feel is good again, plus they are not squeaking and they've been cleaned. Also the fuel filter is doing, what ever it does...

Anyway, it came to €144 (£115) all in, which I'm pleased about. They've pointed out some work that also needed doing, so I'm glad I took it to the dealership, and they are doing the other work tomorrow morning (brake bias, thermostat housing etc etc etc). The total bill comes to €585 (about £460) including all the things they're replacing and the labour.

I realise that there must be lots of engine/drivetrain/mechanical/technical buffs on here - but I'm certainly not one of them. While I'm happy to hang out and fiddle and mess about with the car with mates/contacts in the UK that do know what they're doing...over here I'm far too busy and I don't have the contacts/time/tools/patience/knowledge to carry such things out, so I'd rather pay some uber-effective German professional to carry out the work for me, especially at the far more reasonable labour rate of €65-69 per hour (about £50-55).