Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Shark fin type aerials - Work well?

Hi, anyone use a shark fin style aerial? Do you get good radio reception? I mostly use the radio and I don't want to compromise the signal.

I'm sure the radio will be compromised as the C really relies on having the amplified whip tbh... however, if you're still not convinced and really want a shark fin buy a BMW ;) :)

I have one of the ones that was originally an amplified FM shark fin, they are are ok-ish, but nowhere near as good as the signal from a working OEM aerial, I never intended to use mine for that though, i ripped out all of the internals and fitted the gps antenna from the the pioneer sat nav in there instead.

It wasn't really for looks either, I bought it so I didnt have to remove the aerial every time I put the cover on the car when i worked away, It stops thieving pikey scum from nicking the original one whenever It's parked, and it doesn't get in the way of the roof box (dead hooker transportation device).

And to be honest i quite like it now, but i was thinking of doing it the same colour as the car.

You thinking of getting rid of the "Bumper-car" whip you have ATM Tom?

The shark's fin's are (from memory) designed to work with latest Factory stereos which have in-built aerial amps) so may not work...

Go with a new OE amped whip will probably be night and day... (this is another on my long list of "to-dos")

No, this is for the VR.

I don't think the late corrados have amplified bases. Need to check when I'm next near the car.

Anyway, enough people are saying they're crap in the other thread to put me off. So I'll hunt down an OE replacement.

:salute:

I would hate to injure your beloved ferrets just to prove a point, although you could skewer them much better on the oem aerial :ignore:

I'll get my coat.