Sign in to follow this  
twofourten

Stereo - Dumb Dumb

Hello out there, I'm rubbish at this car stuff

I just got a new stereo with AUX & USB inputs on the front so i can use iPhone etc in the car, my trouble is that being a complete novice I have no idea how to remove the old stereo or fit the new one.

I have fiddled with it and pulled the old unit half way out, but then it stops? I think this must be due to short wires? Does this mean that I have to remove the centre panels to able to get in and sort things out?

HELP ME PLEASE :confused4:

I always find it easier to remove the passenger side under dash tray, this usually gives you access to the cables at the back of the headunit.

what is the old stereo?

they sometimes have a bulky inline filter on the power cable that gets caught up in all the gubbins behind the stereo, you should be able to free it off with the under dash tray removed.

Might be a good idea to remove the glovebox, you can access the wires behind the stereo easily from there. It also allows you to get the stereo back in and route the wires properly so the stereo goes in without bunching the wires.

edit.... beaten to it :roll:

Speedo surround (black grooved bit) removed gives you access to the right-hand side, just pop out the fog and demist switches. Careful refitting, there is a bit of a cable trap to the left of the stereo aperture when you push back the headunit.

If you do remove the speedo surround, be very careful with the two lower screw covers, the clips on them are fragile, and the covers tend to go flying off never to be seen again, Oh and one of them is obsolete and very hard to get hold of.

And the glove box just takes brute force to get out and back in again (though brute force with a bit of tact and the correct angle-ing...) I've had it out 3 or 4 times now and am starting to get the hang of it!

I bit the bullet and got to it on Sunday, I decided to take the passenger side route. I took the parcel tray out and left the glove box in, it was a bit tricky to get in to the back of the stereo but I got it done...

My new head unit has a USB in so I was thinking of putting the ipod dock/stand in the ash tray as a mod, any ideas?

I bit the bullet and got to it on Sunday, I decided to take the passenger side route. I took the parcel tray out and left the glove box in, it was a bit tricky to get in to the back of the stereo but I got it done...

My new head unit has a USB in so I was thinking of putting the ipod dock/stand in the ash tray as a mod, any ideas?

I was thinking of doing this as well. Bought some modeling foam so will attempt to fabricate something when I have the time.