Sign in to follow this  
fla

aircon VRs, keeping your oil temp down

Just thought i'd share this for all you aircon owners - if you find the oil temp going up too much put the aircon on. Seriously. It will keep the temps around 100-104 no matter what. OK, i've got 2 spals in mine which prob helps, but basically because of the third (black) sensor in the thermo housing the fans then come on sooner so it helps to act as a low temp stat. Strange eh? Just found this out today. Windows up, a/c on, and oil temps great!

i noticed that with the aircon on there is a fan, sounds like the rad fan to me, anyway with aircon on its continually on and off every couple of minutes

The way aircon is able to be cold is because it has a heat exchanger which takes the heat out of the air (kinda): just like a refridgerator does (A/C is pretty much a small fridge unit), so yeah you're right, it will be picking up the heat coming out of the A/C system and then telling your fans to come on!

I didn't realise any of you boys ran A/C! that's pretty cool (no pun intended :nuts:)

my car had it on when i bought it, i've hardly used it in two years, think it needs a regas but i've never got round to sorting it out

i noticed that with the aircon on there is a fan, sounds like the rad fan to me, anyway with aircon on its continually on and off every couple of minutes

Yep that's the cooling fans, but you may also hear a slight whine from near the cabin fan as the air recirc flap closes and opens as required. Its not a hugely sophisticated setup, but it certainly turns the car into a fridge. Doesnt really affect mpg too much either - i had an average ot 28.9 mpg with a mixture of motorway adn twon driving, plus giing it some stick every so often. And mnes an auto so will be less economicl than you manual boys.

Whilst the air con will keep your coolant temps stable believe me if your driving hard it will not help your oil temps one little bit.

Bottom line is the oil cooler/heat exchanger is just not efficient enough to cope with sustained hard driving.