Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Bump Steer - Thoughts on upside-down track rod ends?

Hi guys, if you want to fit your TRE upside down, you can use the bump steer bushes that are available from SSP, an air- cooled company.

AC498100.jpg

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Steering/?templateID=ssp

These bushes do fit the Rado TRE's as I have just tried with some spares that I have.

HTH

Jonathan

Good post!

So you drill out the hubs to fit these bushes, then slot the TRE into the bush?

I was thinking that but maybe it's just the Track Rods that cause the bump steer or make the biggest difference as they are dirrectly connected to the rack...

Tempted to give these a try as mine drives almost perfectly now, i'd be well chuffed if this sorts it completly!

Good post!

Hi mate, yes you just drill out the hubs (17mm) IIRC, then fit the bush, then TRE.

I only ordered them as I needed bits for my dads '67 splitty, and they were on the same page. I've yet to fit them but before I posted I tried slotting a spare TRE that I had into them, to check that the taper/ fitment was correct.

Good post!

Hi mate, yes you just drill out the hubs (17mm) IIRC, then fit the bush, then TRE.

I only ordered them as I needed bits for my dads '67 splitty, and they were on the same page. I've yet to fit them but before I posted I tried slotting a spare TRE that I had into them, to check that the taper/ fitment was correct.

Be interesting to see if they work on a rado! Would love to cure bump steer in mine, its aweful!

there's a change early to late spec: 17 to 19mm IIRC?

actually that might be Mk2s! Can anyone confirm?

all corrados seems to be the same numbers for left and right ends 191 419 811 left and 812 right

these are mk2 and mk3 parts for all PAS cars

ignore me, that's track rod ends :roll:

ball joints are diff part no.s on VRs, but not sure of size, I think it's just the bracket shape they are mounted on.

yeah, VR wishbones / track control arms look a fair bit different to the 4-pot ones...Maybe I just read too many VR build threads :/

While were talking steering can any of these be of use.

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/results.c ... ing&Nav=10

Would be fun Si, but unfortunately they're not compatible with PAS racks. I don't think a manual rack on a C would be THAT bad...but then again I've been driving around with a dead PAS rack for ages so I know the meaning of heavy! :nuts:

Revo knuckle....mmmm....now that is the kind of engineering that causes a moist patch in my pants :salute:

Cadburys Boost Monkey, a manual rack is no where near as heavy as a PAS rack (when not working) mate :D

Considered a manual rack conversion on mine, but with a VR6 lump ahead of the axle line, PAS is a must!!

yeah, I had a dead PAS rack on the Golf. Gave up trying to fix it and slung a manual rack on. Difference was immense! Felt like the front end was jacked up, the steering was so much lighter.

and yes, I know Dead PAS to working manual isn't a fair test :lol: fair point though Kev, I don't think I'd like to try and yank a C round a corner with 150kg of drive in the front!

To be fair, I wouldn't think the front of the Corrado would be too dissimilar in weight to a mk2 Golf in 16v trim..

Yeah you're prob right stu, would be interesting to cornerweight both cars as standard and see what's what.

but for now, sleeptime.

Looking at the two (golf mk2 16v and 1.8 16v Corrado), there's not much difference at the front other than the weighty Corrado bonnet and the cable change gearbox, when you get onto the later cars you've got ABS, heavier alternators, fan relay packs and a few other minor bits and bobs. According to the VW tech specs in the published brochures the late 2.0 16v was about 25kg heavier than the 1.8 16v Corrado (CAT, ABS, bigger fuel tank and a bunch of other minor differences)

A golf mk2 16v varies in weight considerably, depending on whether it's 2 or 4 door, has sunroof and electric windows etc.

similarly specced Golf and Corrado 16v 1.8's probably only have around 50KG difference in weight, if that. I wouldn't mind a Corrado shell without a sunroof for a start!

I've heard the difference is more like 200kg kerb weight like for like David! Would be interested if you find out something different.

The problem is most mk2 16v's get quoted as the early car spec, small bumpers, no fogs, no central locking, no electric windows, smaller battery, 3 door and the lower soundproofing of the early cars. Take a late mk2 16v on big bumpers with the above options probably 15" rather than 14" wheels and the 950-1000kg often quoted for the golf is going to be approaching 1050kg.

A basic early 16v Corrado is only going to be just over 1100kg.

My mother in law used to work at a steel distributor with their own weigh-bridge, shame I never got mine measured on there, it would be good to find out, might get her to ask them if I can do it.

I have a 1.6 mk4 4 door golf and sometimes push both cars on my drive a little way to get in the garage etc, it's on a very slight slope upwards and the golf is far heavier than the corrado to push, stats from VW seem to state the mk4 1.6 is only about 50kg more than the Corrado 16v, I beg to differ!

Corrados are heavy cars, especially the VR6. Mine was 1320kg on a weigh bridge wearing some BBS 17s.

VW's quote of 1210Kg is way off the mark.

Yep, the entire rear interior and seats stripped out only saves around 30 - 35kg.

You would need to go the full monty on a Corrado to get it to 1000kg or lower.

I don't even know what particular panels weigh in order to see whether CF panels would save a lot. Plus you'd really want to keep the car for infinity+5 years just to see the recoup off those! :shock:

Yep. those and the bumpers. All carbon fibreable....but hugely expensive. The stock front seats weigh a tonne aswell, so carbon/kevlar seats would shift a fair bit of weight.