Sign in to follow this  
fla

keeping inlet manifold shiny?

I polished my inlet mani a while back (plus the belt tensioner and rocker cover), when i was redoing the chains. came out quite well but now its already got some oxidation (white spots) and looks dull. Is ther any way to keep it looking half decent? I thought of using some oil on it but this will just burn off after a while. I've also got some Belgom Alu, but this only helps when you've polished it up already.

You can get high temperature engine lacquer. But imho lacquering polished parts like that is more trouble than it's worth.

15 mins with some autosol every few months isn't really that much work!

I guess if you want something shiney and durable then you could always chrome it.

Otherwise you'll need to keep on top of it and polish it at least once a week with something like Belgom or Meguiars NXT Metal Polish to keep the parts looking shiney.

When aluminium surfaces get hot like your manifold, i think they oxidise.

imho, you're fighting a losing battle just to have a little bling when you pop the bonnet.

2p.

Halfords petrol proof lacquer, did my golf inlet manifold after full polishing and my vr's, the fgolf did 10k without blistering and the vr has yet to be fitted (as with lots of things! lol)

Use 3 light coats in clean conditions and although it takes a slight shine off the polishing it still looks polished, and can be wiped colean when drying the car after washing!

Halfords petrol proof lacquer, did my golf inlet manifold after full polishing and my vr's, the fgolf did 10k without blistering and the vr has yet to be fitted (as with lots of things! lol)

Use 3 light coats in clean conditions and although it takes a slight shine off the polishing it still looks polished, and can be wiped colean when drying the car after washing!

I think the key here is preparation. If you remove all impurities prior to lacquering then you'll get a lasting finish so long as dampness and salt etc is kept at bay.

Where white spots are described, these will be down to the original oxidation prior to polishing, indicating you've not got back to un-oxdised alloy; shot blasting is perhaps the most reliable way to full remove all traces of oxidation. Lacquer over oxidation and after a while you'll end up with unsightly white spiders crawling under the lacquer in the same way alloy wheels can go after exposure to a couple of UK winters.