Sign in to follow this  
kuksool

hi everyone im going to buy a corrado help please

hi everyone finnaly found a corrado forum... and i must say its really good!

Been wanting a corrado for a while and although id love the vr6 model i cant face insurance over 1200 a year really so im looking at a 1.8 16v

so i ask you is there a buying guide for these????

is it the same lump as the one in the mk2 golf???

are there any probs with buying this model????

it needs to be fairely reliable so are they as i do about 5o miles a day????

ive found a nice one for 3k with 89k fsh on a 90 plate is this pretty good or is well overpriced

thanks all your advice in advance

Scott

:lol:

kuksool wrote

ive found a nice one for 3k with 89k fsh on a 90 plate is this pretty good or is well overpriced

I bought mine a few months ago for just over 3K with 69000 on the clock and a full service history. it's a '94 L 2.0 16V - Later models will have slightly different wings, bonnet, grill, bumpers and interior - so a better buy (I think) I have seen 1.8 valvers going for under 2K. Just remember that the most important thing is getting a very clean straight body - dub engines are pretty stong my old mk1 managed 190000 on its original engine with no major problems :shock:

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and happy hunting... :D

Be very wary of buying "low mileage" cars - unless you can verify via service records, MOT's, etc.

1.8 16v's are usually very reliable - can't really go far wrong with mechanical injection systems.

The 1.8 16V (KR) engine is a little cracker... It's pretty hard to kill one (I know, I've tried! :wink: :lol: ) and even if you do, they're not exactly thin on the ground, or complicated engines so spares are easy to get hold of and shouldn't cost you the earth either...

I've had 2 cars with these engines in, one of them being my first Corrado and I'd have another one tomorrow if I didn't now have my G60... 8)

3K does sound a little over the top, I'd want a LOT less (proven!) milage than that for the money...

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! 8)

Henny said it all really :D 1.8 16v engine is a real craker!! I'm on my second now for the same insurance reasons you are.

If selling, I'd be looking to clear mine for £2k ish, which i bought two years ago for £2,9 and 77k on the clock, so £3k is OTT unless it's a real real cracker!!

Don't pay too much attention to a rattly engine on starting either, the hydraulic tappets wear, but the noise dissapears when warm - if it carries on then worry!! Also try and start any car you see from cold, otherwise you'll feel real peeved when it has trouble turning on the cold morning after you bought it :x

Besides that usual stuff:- cambelt change, slipping clutch, swerve on braking etc etc

good luck :wink:

Thanks guys went to go and have a look at it hes just bought a vr6 corrado and lets just say i fell in love witht he vr6 compared to the 16v one!!!! so im saving till after xmas now so i can hopefully get one in the new year!!!

i think its worth the insurance to be fair!!!! its one of those grin factor cars!!!!!:D

Scott :D

*** Mod Edit - Deleted your double post - Henny ***