Sign in to follow this  
David Winter

Roof strip refurb

Hi.

Been unhappy with my perished roof strips for some time. I know a lot of people have mensioned replacing these before but heres another idea which worked for me.

The photos will help make it clearer. I purchased some black silicone from homebase. This has a 35 year guarentee!

1. carefully remove all the perished rubber.

2.mask an acurate line along the body

3. Cut the aplicator to about the size of the old seal and aply the silicone in one pass.

4. straight away run your finger carefully along using the plastic part of the roof strip as a guide and getting only a thin layer where you are going to pull up the tape.This is the tricky bit but dont be tempted t prat around as the silicone will start to skin. One pass should be all you need.

5. pull up the tape revealing a nice neat edge and a very new looking seal.

If you balls it up just leave it to dry overnight and pull it out and try again. :D

Im really chuffed with mine.

i did this on mine about 18 months ago, and its still perfect 8) one thing i did also was mix some of the silicone with some white spirit to really thin down the silicone, then go over the whole lot with the thinned down silicone, it just makes the old hard plastic look alot newer.

karl

Inspired, A job for the weekend coming up! How do you all make sure that all of the moisture is out before hand? Would hate to trap any in there!

Inspired, A job for the weekend coming up! How do you all make sure that all of the moisture is out before hand? Would hate to trap any in there!

Once you have poked the old seal out the air will soon dry it out. I did it on a warm day which I know is now unlikley but as long as its not raining you should be fine.

Mines never had rubber on didn't realise it should be there :lol: does it do anything or what :shrug:

Most people just trim it off when it starts deteriorating. The silicone makes it look a little neater and more OE.