Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

What is this called? see pic!

so ive a coolant leak and its quite obvious where it is. just where the hose from the bottom of the expansion tank connects to the engine block. there is a rubber flange type thing (see pic) that the hose connects to that seems to be where the leak is coming from. I dont want to go changing all the coolant hoses and then find ive not solved the problem. what is this rubber thingy called and where can i get one?

ps: there is a hole the size of a £1 coin into the gearbox ??? well you can see gears anyway that its leaking on top of which cant be good! should there be a cover or something for here? (see pic)

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

Hi Paddy,

this has been covered a lot before, you really should use the search!

The flange is called a...er... coolant flange, but it's not rubber, it's hard plastic. The hose is rubber. You can get them from VW, GSF or ECP or any other good well-known auto factors.

The hole over the gearbox is called the inspection hole and yes it should have a little plastic bung/cover to stop things falling in. You may still be able to pick that up from VW. The hole is used primarily to set the ignition timing using a stroboscopic light source.

Jon.

p.s. those aren't the gears of the gearbox you can see, it's the teeth on the flywheel. There is no way you can see the gears inside the gearbox unless you take it apart.

thanks v much, tried searching but all topics were related to replacing hoses and how 5 of 7 hoses from 16v pack will fit and other two wont. anyway i know what to ask for now anyway. cheers...

So after replacing the side flange and expansion tank it hasn't helped my problem at all. Another look around showed the radiator entry and exit points looked ok, but looking at it from underneath, i found that all the water/coolant is leaking out down at the bottom near to a belt pulley (see pic below). I dunno if its this part or whether its dripping onto it. The leak has been getting progessively worse now to the point where a full top-up now goes after only 30 miles! So it's something major. Is this where the water pump is? or i've read in searches about a secondary water pump? its an early 1.8 16v. i've recently done the heater matrix myself (6k ago), and had the engine refurbed, seals, guides, rings, gasket (where they replaced the water pump (15k ago).

underneath1.jpg[/img]

underneath1.jpg

So whats my problem? water pump? secondary water pump? anything else?

cheers

ok thanks, Is replacing the waterpump a big job? vr6 replacement looks like a big enough job, does the vr6 and 16v have the same waterpump?

you don't have a secondary water pump but that does look like your one and only water pump is leaking from a seal. It's not massively hard to do, but then that's based on how well you know your way around a toolkit.

no the VR6 and 16v don't share any common engine parts as far as I know. Get a 16v one. They're £30ish exchange from VW, so absolutely no reason to buy a cheapo one!

I see that i should replace the thermostat as well while i'm at it, i dont suppose there is a guide to replacing the water pump & thermostat in a 16v that anyone has?

does the bumper have to come off and the engine be raised up to allow the pump to come off?

Ok, I changed the subject to something more suitable in case this might be needed by anyone else in the future. I'm hoping to change the water pump tmrw so I'll post up how it goes and hopefully a few pics.

I think i saw on some thread that I can do this by just taking out the alternator first to get at the water pump because its on a 16v. Hopefully I wont have to do what VR6 owners have to do...(remove bumper & rad, undo engine mounts and raise the engine to remove the pump, I think!!!)

Ok, so got water pump and thermostat changed today. Car's indoors overnight now just to make sure there're no leaks while its cold. Will go for a drive tomorrow and check for any "hot" leaks. Not difficult a job at all just making sure to take your time and not shear any bolts. Had difficulty getting the allen-headed pulley bolts out but got them in the end, thanks to Mr. hammer. I've a few pics too so ill put them in a simple how-to guide and post it up.

cheers

ok here's a simple how-to for anybody else's future help...

Changing Water-pump and thermostat on 1.8 16v

1. Remove Alternator, two bolts on sides and 1 on top, then 3 nuts to disconnect wiring.

2. Remove bracket used to hold PAS pump that covers over the water pump, 4 nuts and 1 long threaded nut and bolt at bottom.

3. Remove the outer water pump pulley, 3 hex-headed screws on side of pulley.

4. Disconnect in/out hoses to pump and thermostat housing.

5. Remove water pump and thermostat (connected together), 4 bolts into engine block.

6. Take inner pulley off water pump and put onto new pump.

7. Put new thermostat into its housing and attach to new pump.

8. Put all bits back together, connecting belts appropriately.

my waterpump had a hole come in it at the bottom of it as in pic and it was leaking down on top of the PAS pump. As well as the hole at the bottom, the part where the pulley was driving the pump fell apart when i took it off the old pump, see pic...

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

I've a few pics too so ill put them in a simple how-to guide and post it up. cheers

Hi

You are a star. Well done and thanks for the lovely pictures and the how-to.