jamin

Jamin's 'Ferrado' VR6

what you looking at getting? you wanting them to be snug snug?? what widths etc?

Should be going 9" with either 205 or 215/35 tyres, probably 17's and not 16's as previously planned. I just want to get them tucked up as close as possible to minimize arch rubbing etc. I have 25mm spacers on my RH's, I think I can go 20mm no problems, that should give me an ET27 with 9".

looking sweet mate hoping to see you around in town and especially at the march meet !!!!!!1 top man :wave:

When and where is the meet in March? I've haven't been keeping track...

Small boring update...

I have now got the housings blasted & powder coated and finally painted the calipers (which I am very happy with). I've also picked up some new splash guards (front and rear) which I am going to paint silver and ordered new front bearings from VAG for a staggering £82, ouch!

Piccies..

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_0166.jpg[/attachment:wtkaywxv]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_0168.jpg[/attachment:wtkaywxv]DSC_0171.jpg[/attachment:wtkaywxv]

Another update, lots of bits arriving and being painted!

I took some time out to see why my key did not work in the rear boot lock (am going for de-locked handles so it needs to work!), as far as I was aware it used to work fine, although I dont ever really use it. I read up on 're-tumbling' the lock to fit my key, but as soon as I got it apart I spotted the problem - two of the blades were seized and therefore not springing in/out when required. This was easy to fix, but as you can see the little blades are all gunked up and corroded. A little clean with wet & dry and some fresh grease got it working again - nice and smooth!!! :D

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSCN1441.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

This beast turned up during the week - Jetex stainless from CAT back, I will be getting a sports cat also, then getting it fitted all in one go. I have plans to smooth the rear bumper so will be chopping that lovely oval pipe off the end - although its sooo nice I might actually keep it, and just get rid of the tow-eye. Gotta just mention Venommotorsport as this is where I got the exhaust from. I gave them a ring and they were very friendly with some good advice, the exhaust turned up the next day, so +rep to them!!

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSCN1443.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

I have finally, finally, finally got some new RH caps for my wheels - I lost one recently and have struggled to find them anywhere - apart from ebay.de - but all the sellers over there wanted about 20-25 euros for POSTAGE alone!!! Making the total cost about £50 - for four plastic caps! Anyhow, after more searching I found one seller who said they'd fit them in a 'letter' size parcel, and only wanted 4 euros postage!!! Much more like it!

Corrado92.pdfDSCN1445.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

As part of the rebuild of the front hubs, I picked up some new VAG bearings from the stealers yesterday. Now I need some new ABS sensor's which I am going to get from GSF I think.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCN1446.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

I started painting the new splash guards I picked up a while ago, going for silver as I think that'll cool, although you wont really see them on the front. I've done the fronts, happy with the finish, using hammerite smooth in a spray can - much better finish than using red on the calipers.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCN1447.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN1448.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

Last but not least, I've ordered some new rubber mounts for the zorst, the rear hanger and some passat rear handles (going to get them colour coded) - although the part no.s for the mechs didn't check out, so I'll need to re-check those.

Edit:DSC_0264.JPG[/attachment:29e4yj63]

Lots of little projects going on, cant wait to get some of them fitted!!!

Can I ask which seller you got the RH caps from? After a set myself. I Reckon you'll be well happy with the Jetex - I got the same system fitted about 3 weeks ago, really happy with it, quieter than the standard system (!) when cruising on the motorway but nice deep growl when you're booting it. Though the bloke who fitted it said it was a bit of a bastard to fit... Did you get the resonated system or the one with the straight through box?

Can I ask which seller you got the RH caps from? After a set myself. I Reckon you'll be well happy with the Jetex - I got the same system fitted about 3 weeks ago, really happy with it, quieter than the standard system (!) when cruising on the motorway but nice deep growl when you're booting it. Though the bloke who fitted it said it was a bit of a bastard to fit... Did you get the resonated system or the one with the straight through box?

I got them from this seller :- http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xaey/ hopefully he still has some left. They are the right size but do look slightly different to my original ones, more chrome, but still look nice.

I got the full three silencer version, was worried the the straight though might be too loud, plus I love the induction noise more than the exhaust sound! Just need to get a new CAT (Miltek sports probably) now and then get it fitted, hope its not as bad a fit as you mention though.

Don't worry, the fit is good once it's on (no knocking etc), the problem is really that Jetex ship the same exhaust for the VR6 as they do the valver and give you some extra pipes and connectors with the system so it can fit on both models. Seen as it's not solely for the VR6 it makes the initial fitting a bit of a pain. You should be fine though.

I went for the silenced system too, totally agree about the induction noise being more important! Also mine pops and bangs a little on the overrun when it's warmed up. Makes me smile every time :grin:

Cheers for the caps link, pretty big coincidence seen as I was just about to order some gold bolts off the same seller on ebay.de! hadn't realised he stocked caps as well. :salute:

Well, progress has been very slow due to lack of funds and family commitments, but things are starting to shape up nicely.

My Miltek Sports CAT arrived yesterday so I can now get that and the exhaust (complete with new rubbers and gasket) fitted.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN1460.JPG[/attachment:3r7hvoll]

Finally got round to getting some mechs to match the door handles, test fitted the drivers side last week to make sure all works as it should, and it did! I am going to get the handles painted soon (once I've smoothed them with some wet & dry), in the mean time I've removed the child safety locks, just need to grind down the final piece thats sticking out.

DSCN1462.JPG[/attachment:3r7hvoll]

I have also purchased a new hub (£80 ouch!!) as one of the 2nd hand ones I bought was 9 thou down, not good. I wanted to get this drilled to 5x112 to give me more wheels options, but there's just not enough material to do it, so have decided to leave them as they are. Once the bearings/hubs/housings are all built, I can then get the discs & pads, and maybe, just maybe get them fitted!!!

what did you use to paint the calipers mate? they look very good! doing mine this week, bought some 288s so figured i would paint them before they go on.

Also i noticed a few pages back that you spent £70 odd on other bits to complete the 288 upgrade?? what were these parts? im guessing i will need them too, but hoping i wont!

what did you use to paint the calipers mate? they look very good! doing mine this week, bought some 288s so figured i would paint them before they go on.

Also i noticed a few pages back that you spent £70 odd on other bits to complete the 288 upgrade?? what were these parts? im guessing i will need them too, but hoping i wont!

I used smooth hammerite red, its ok, takes alot of light coats (to avoid runs), dries a little soft at first, but seems ok now. If you get them calipers/carriers blasted, make sure you spray them ASAP afterwards, otherwise they'll rust up, even in a couple of days stored in the house!

The seals etc are to replace the worn ones etc, might aswell do it now while they are off the car. There is a thread HERE that covers all the bits you might need, very helpful indeed.

What discs are you going for? I've settled on black diamond drilled as these seem good and they have corrosive protection for the non-pad-contact areas - keeps them looking like new!

I used smooth hammerite red, its ok, takes alot of light coats (to avoid runs), dries a little soft at first, but seems ok now. If you get them calipers/carriers blasted, make sure you spray them ASAP afterwards, otherwise they'll rust up, even in a couple of days stored in the house!

The seals etc are to replace the worn ones etc, might aswell do it now while they are off the car. There is a thread HERE that covers all the bits you might need, very helpful indeed.

What discs are you going for? I've settled on black diamond drilled as these seem good and they have corrosive protection for the non-pad-contact areas - keeps them looking like new!

Thanks for that, i will have a look at the thread...i wont be able to get mine blasted i dont think, just going to have to give them a really good clean first.

I bought a full 288mm set up, second hand with calipers, carriers, disks and pads..so for now i am going to use the ones i bought, but im pretty sure they are just standard VAG ones, in the future i may well upgrade to something like black diamond but for now im hoping these will do the job!

Mmmm, refurbed powder coated housings/new hubs/bearings/ABS rings loveliness....

DSCN1483.JPG[/attachment:1al1bv1f]

Next stop discs and pads (pun intended!).

Well, I have finally found the time and a suitable garage to fit my nice new shiny exhaust and sports CAT. The old CAT's heatshield has been broken for some time now, and catches so much since I've had it lowered I decided to get a new one as I am going to change the exhaust anyway.

I was tempted to take it to a garage, but my friend has access to a double garage with a pit so decided to do-it-myself, which I wanted to anyway.

He is a pic of the old tailpipe - speedtech DTM upswept, about 7 years old I think. I liked it at the time, but have grown tired of its looks and fancied a change to something more OEM.

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfDSCN1492.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Rolled the car back over the pit to make a start pulling the old one off - this took over three hours and I had to hacksaw one of the bolts on the rear hanger off as it had seized up, great.

Book1.pdfDSCN1502.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Here's a pic of the tailpipe - the exhaust clamp has completely rusted away!

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSCN1498.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Same problem as the centre silencer - which was also slightly blowing.

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSCN1499.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

The CAT took a while to remove aswell, the bolts were on TIGHT, and the one at the top was even harder - try getting a sensible sized spanner up there! Also, the damn lambda probe wouldn't budge at all. In the end my mate managed to locate the connector at the back of the engine whilst I directed him from underneath the car. Once off the car I could then get enough leverage on it to undo it!

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSCN1501.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Finally all removed, ready for the new bits!

Corrado92.pdfDSCN1504.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Old CAT and front silencer vs new one! Some cutting of the front silencer was required as it was about 2" too long, but no biggy.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCN1503.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

New CAT bolted to the downpipe with the lamda probe attached.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCN1505.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

CAT and front silencer fitted and sealed, looking the bees knees!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN1529.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Front and centre silencer fitted, had to use some M8 studding inside the T-bar and a nut each end to ensure the rubbers dont come off - the alignment of the CAT meant the front silencer wasn't quite straight.

DSCN1530.JPG[/attachment:h32hgyq2]

Continued in next post - run out of attachments!

Tailpipe all mounted - no issues here at all, which was nice!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN1534.JPG[/attachment:1ifdrhe4]

And finally....

DSCN1535.JPG[/attachment:1ifdrhe4]

Overall I am very happy with it, Its actually rather quiet which is good as I prefer to hear the induction growl rather than the exhaust. I am also glad that myself and a friend managed to fit it, although it took a few dry runs and a few evenings.

good work, so your exhaust has a total of 3 silencers? What exhaust is it?

good work, so your exhaust has a total of 3 silencers? What exhaust is it?

Cheers Zak, yeah, although I think 2 would suffice tbh, and its a Jetex full stainless - you can get a kit with just 2 silencers.

seems like a good sytem. I think quiet is good. I'd be very happy with it.

seems like a good sytem. I think quiet is good. I'd be very happy with it.

Yeah, I am so far, especially as I (with some help from a friend) fitted it - adds to the satisfaction.

Have you noticed any performance improvement or smoothness ?

Not yet, my initial drive only proved that I needed to use sealant at the joints - it was blowing quite bad and once warm the center silencer was (only just) touching the rear axle, so had to move it forwards a little.

Also I've got to wait 24hr for the sealant to cure - I am picking it up later today, so will let you know how I get on.

How much was the sports cat?

Alot, almost as much as the entire exhaust system ~£300, still cheaper than the vw one though.

Alot, almost as much as the entire exhaust system ~£300, still cheaper than the vw one though.

How long is the CAT, is it longer then a standard CAT - looks it.

How long is the CAT, is it longer then a standard CAT - looks it.[/quote:1lttzcmq]

A little, but there is enough 'spare' pipe to trim down if need be.

Mocked up the housings today with the new discs and pads that arrived this week, it all fits together!

Mmmmmm!

21t9mcz6n8ju7n4tlq8k.jpg

icgn8hrc43ozrq8d9z6b.jpg