Sign in to follow this  
carter711

Dirty great leak under my bonnet!

Evening all,

I've discovered this dirty great leak under my bonnet (95 VR6) and suspect it to be a shot engine mount.

Does anyone have any ideas? Also how much might it cost to put right?

Cheers

(I plan to get some good photos of my car and start a journal tomorrow!)

DSC01364-1.jpg

That indeed looks like your rear engine mount has cracked and is letting all the hydraulic oil out of it! Never seen one leak so precise as that before!

Mount costs vary depending on factor or genuine, and labour varies depending on whether you DIY or take it to a garage.

Shouldn't be more than £100 all in for a garage to do based on a cheaper mount but i'll let someone confirm.

It's your gearbox mount. Buy a mk2 deisel unit from GSF for £13. Fairly easy to replace too. Jack under gearbox, bolt out of centre of mount, remove 2 mount to gearbox bolts and loosen the third, rotate the mount out of the way, 2x bolts holding the mount into subframe, and mount pops out.

Where do you live? I can throw it on in exchange for cash... :)

It's your gearbox mount.

That'll be why it has a driveshaft next to it...

:tongue:

Don't worry... I've attacked these ones half a dozen times or so over the summer, so I'm well aquainted with it...

Cheers for the replies boys, much appreciated!

It's your gearbox mount. Buy a mk2 deisel unit from GSF for £13. Fairly easy to replace too. Jack under gearbox, bolt out of centre of mount, remove 2 mount to gearbox bolts and loosen the third, rotate the mount out of the way, 2x bolts holding the mount into subframe, and mount pops out.

Where do you live? I can throw it on in exchange for cash... :)

Thanks very much for the diagnosis, i really appreciate it :)

What is the $hit that's leaking out from the mount??

I live in south london which is a bit of a trek from where you are unless you are visting over this way by chance?

It's a hydraulic fluid. the mount is filled with it to help absorb vibration, but the solid rubber unit works at least as well and doesn't leak.

Sadly I'm afraid of London. :(

the solid rubber unit works at least as well and doesn't leak.

The hydraulic one doesn't leak for ten years, and makes the car quieter than the solid ones. Choice is yours.

the solid rubber unit works at least as well and doesn't leak.

The hydraulic one doesn't leak for ten years, and makes the car quieter than the solid ones. Choice is yours.

That's a very good point on the leaking, to be honest I never noticed any more noise when I changed mine. And there is a price difference to consider too.