Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Loosing Water and Rad weld!!

Okay

I seem to be using a tiny amount of water daily due to a tiny hole in my Rad (i think, As i saw a tiny amount of steam coming from it)

Anyway Im going to be changing my water hoses at the Weekend and wondered if you can put the rad weld in, drain the system after a few days and then change all the hoese and it would still be fixed, or does it "wash out".

I've got air con and dont really want to change the Rad unless i can help it, How much are they anyway, anyone know (banana man?) I guess i would have to get a VAG one. :mad:

G 60 jet i had the same problem, and used Rad weld 2 months ago and it seems to have worked ok but it is only a quick fix, i think the rads are about £70

I got mine done. They are special ones for the G60...not the same as MK2 Gti's....which I had done about a month ago before selling to get G60 :/

Costs nearer 100

I had a leaking radiator when I got my car, bought a radweld but only used half of it. Its now 2 years later and the coolants been changed twice and its still holding.

I heard that swapping the radiator on the Corrado is a total sod!! So be advised before you try and tackle it yourself.. might wanna take it for a local garage to tackle instead :)

Alright nigel I recently had to replace my rad as it had a hole in it, it cost me £75 all in I think euro car parts charge £80 + vodka and tonic. Jim is kind of right about it being a sod to change as you have to take off the boost hoses and the cowling before you can contemplate removing the rad and the bolts holding the cowling can get quite rusty I sheared 2 of the bolts when I tried to undo em and had to re drill and tap it to get new ones in place all in all it took about and hour and a half to get it out and get the new one in but most of that time was drilling and tapping the new threads in!!! Try the rad weld first as it is pretty good s*it my hole was too big to fill and was knackered anyway so I just replaced it!! (Might as well I ve replace everyting else) :roll:

G60Jet, Nigel mate I just had to replace the rad on my VR6 Golf and it cost £80,so I reckon it it will be much the same for your G60.Just do it you know it makes sense in the long run. :wink: :!: :mrgreen:

When into the Steelers on the way home the Rad for my G60 is €237+Iva thats about £158+vat :( there is little chance of me getting a non OEM one here in spain. I dont really like the Rad weld option myself. Im getting my Samcos soon so im gonna try putting them on just in case the hold is in a hose or join. Its was i saw a bit of steam comming of the rad when i had the bonnet open. Maybe it was water sitting on it rather than leaking out!! we'll see!!

you dont have to remove the cowling to remove the rad from a g60... g60 jet i could send you one over proberly still work out alot cheaper than the price you have been quoted? let me know if you want me to sort this for you...

Check out the plastic elbow on the top of the rad that the top hose connects to. They're not very reliable and over time go brittle and split a la thermostat housing.

Mine gave up the ghost recently and the way it vents steam makes it look like it's coming from the rad. Check out your slam panel and bonnet for signs of water.

As long as the existing one isn't siezed in it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new rad! :D I think I paid something like £4 quid for mine.

Exercise mucho caution if you're planning on taking it off... it'll damage your rad if it's siezed and you try to force the bolts

--

Richard

'94 Moonlight Blue VR6

CCGB #2127

Check out the plastic elbow on the top of the rad that the top hose connects to. They're not very reliable and over time go brittle and split a la thermostat housing.

Mine gave up the ghost recently and the way it vents steam makes it look like it's coming from the rad. Check out your slam panel and bonnet for signs of water.

As long as the existing one isn't siezed in it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new rad! :D I think I paid something like £4 quid for mine.

Exercise mucho caution if you're planning on taking it off... it'll damage your rad if it's siezed and you try to force the bolts

--

Richard

'94 Moonlight Blue VR6

CCGB #2127

The steam was coming from lower down than that, but im gonna check it out as my slam pannel looking like was is drying on it, but i put that down to all the rain we had over the last few weeks.