Sign in to follow this  
voo51

Help!! Heaters not working?

When i bought my Corrado the heaters were on hot all the time, even when the dial was turned to cold the heaters still blew hot, burning hot infact! I took the dials out and found the heater arm had snapped off and as it was summer i moved the temperature change wire to cold position and it began to blow cool. I then bought another temperature dial unit and replaced it. Now, the heaters only blow cold all the time, even when the dial is turned to hot. I have connected it all up properly and with winter approaching i am worried ill be absolutely freezing at 4am on the way to work!

When i start the car with the fans on there is a sqealing noise coming from behind the glove box. I suspect the heater matrix possibly?

I have scoured the forum and ebay but can't seem to find any heater matrix faliure symptoms. Can anyone help or maybe suggest what the problem might be?

Also, the new heater dials i have fitted had a fourth arm an which looks from the fan speed dial, i havn't connected anything to this but the fan speeds still work.

:help:

The squeaking will be the fan motor bearings. I find that if I drop out the motor and tap the Fan down onto the spindle it stops the noise by reloading the bearings!! Can't help with dial probs mines early type. Try removing the ducting from the fan and touching the matrix and see if it gets hot. If it isn't hot that's your problem.

Morning

Matrix failure is usually noticed by loss of water from the cooling system, wet patches in the footwells, no hot air, or very little, steaming up of windscreen when cold cos the humidity in the car is very high (due to leak) and no doubt constant swearing from the owner cos your feet are cold............

Ball ache of a job to do, but can be done by any competent DIYer. By the sounds of it, something in the control system is not right or busted.

Dic

I now have coolant leaking! But only when i turn my engine off. If the engine is on for a few minutes only a little comes out but if i go for a drive as soon as i turn it off alot of water comes out. I have tryed to see where it is coming from but i cant see. It looks like it is dripping from the n/s of underneath the car inline with the passenger door.

Is this coincidence with the heaters not working as well?!

That sounds like the valve in the water tank cap is shot, the drain is underneath so you don't see the water spraying out of the top of the tank, is drips down onto the passenger side inner wing area.

For your heater in the car one of a few things can happen, either there isn't enough water in the system and the matrix is just full of air, the by-pass valves just before the water hoses go into the bulkhead and into the matrix are blocked/jammed or the controller flaps under the dash are stuck shut for some reason, but you would usually feel some heat from the dash vents in that case.

you need to check both inlet and outlet hoses going into the bulkhead/matrix have water in them and get hot showing a flow of water, if your header tank cap is black and not blue, then you have the earlier type which could do with replacing anyway even if it isn't leaking.

Thats a great help thankyou, i am going to ring the scrappy now to see if he has one i can have.

I have now fixed the heaters! I took the dash apart again and it turns out i hadn't clipped the blue heater wire to the unit, causing the cable to move but not inside the sleeve like it should. :) I will now be toasty warm in winter with a defrosted window screen!!!

My new cap arrives toorrow so once that is on i will see if it solves my overflow problem.

New water cap fitted and no more leaking! Also had full service and compression checks just to make sure and she runs better than ever.

Thankyou so much guys :)