Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Quick one? Where not to paint brakes?

just painting the rear calipers i bought and wondered whereabouts i shouldn't put paint??

i've editted the image in photoshop to make it easier to refer to

DSC01200.jpg

i was going to paint the green area, but none of the red, also the face you can't see between the red and green, is that correct?

also the little blue area on the cylinder part, is it ok to paint that, it looked all shiny and clean cut like the area where the banjo bolts sit?

Basically don't paint - piston and piston cover (rubber bit), rear hand brake lever and rubber washers, bleed nipple and flexi line (banjo bolt bit).

Every where else can be painted, although you might want to sand off the surface that meet when attaching caliper to carrier, and carrier to hub.

so painting where the pads go is ok?

why not the lever?

while your here :lol: does the standard corrado handbrake cable fit straight onto the mk4 caliper? am getting garage to do mine now b ut need to be sure they have everything they need

You don't need to paint the red bit as it won't be seen. Anything on top and at the sides that will be infront of the slider holes needs painting, aswell as the part you have marked green. Also be sure to cover the threads for the bleed nipple and hose connection, and the slider pin holes as you don't want any paint getting in there ;) None of the piston barrel needs paint as again it won't be seen. Imagining the caliper on the car and then painting what you think might be seen is the easiest way to do it :lol:

Oh and yes it's the Standard handbrake cable you need, be sure to have your chassis No. with you as there are variations in year.

HTH

i was painting them more for protection and to stop corrosion building up.

i already have the handbrake cables :D think i must have everything now.....i hope :lol:

i painted my rear caliper with an old hose and old bleed nipple in, then you can go nuts with the paint and just throw those 2 items away after preserving good threads.

In that case paint everything, barr the piston, bleed nipple and hose threads :lol: It won't matter too much as it's only a thin layer of paint.

Good luck and hope things go smoothly :D

worth sanding / filing back the proper flat edges where the pads seat after you paint if you painted them, but you can tell which those are.