Sign in to follow this  
Chris

clutch slave cylinder boot replacement? mines ripped!

as title states, the other night i was out for a drive and lost my clutch pedal. checked the fluid, lost everything above the clutch feed pipe.

checked every joint no leaks, checked the slave cylinder, the rubber boot has totally ripped off pissing fluid out.

can you replace the boot? if so, is it a VW dealership job? and how easy is it? ive never taken one apart.

cheers,

chris

Just buy a new slave, not expensive and new part is alloy with a plastic sleeve so won't rot.

from VW? or an aftermarket one from ebay? any idea on the price i should be paying for it?

Just buy a new slave, not expensive and new part is alloy with a plastic sleeve so won't rot.

from VW? or an aftermarket one from ebay? any idea on the price i should be paying for it?

is this the one your talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-G60-MK3-CORRADO-VR6-CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYL-C356_W0QQitemZ190255006014QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190255006014&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That looks metal to me. The genuine ones are made of polymer, they aren't too much more I think, and you get a good warranty.

wish it was still tht price!

im going to go with the ebay one as its half the price, and to be honest, cant see that there'll be much difference between them. ill just coat it in lots of hammerite to protect it

the ebay one comes with a 12month /12000 mile warranty (which ever comes first) which isnt too bad at all. if i have any problems ill let folk know

the rubber boot has totally ripped off pissing fluid out.

the rubber boot is just a dust seal and shouldnt come into contact with the fluid, so if fluid is leaking out, the internal seal has also gone, so you will need a new slave cylinder.

the rubber boot is just a dust seal and shouldnt come into contact with the fluid, so if fluid is leaking out, the internal seal has also gone, so you will need a new slave cylinder.

I was thinking that, as mine has had a damaged seal for years to no effect, it's only there to stop clutch dust potentially getting into it.

these things usually last forever, although I think there have been some with manufacturing faults (metal going porous or something), the feed flexi hose lasts about 10 years but the cylinders themselves aren't usually a problem, If it was me I'd pick up a second hand one, from a later VAG car, a tenner is about right.

the rubber boot has totally ripped off pissing fluid out.

after a closer inspection, if i pull the rod out (as it isnt attached now) and look inside, i can see a pool of fluid, push the pedal down, and youve guessed it, fluid pisses out. internals have definately gone :( new one ordered now though :)

I was thinking that, as mine has had a damaged seal for years to no effect, it's only there to stop clutch dust potentially getting into it.

these things usually last forever, although I think there have been some with manufacturing faults (metal going porous or something), the feed flexi hose lasts about 10 years but the cylinders themselves aren't usually a problem, If it was me I'd pick up a second hand one, from a later VAG car, a tenner is about right.

this is the third slave cylinder that has gone bust on me now, i think ive got to try a new one rather than second hand for a change. not saying that all second hand units are crap, its just my bad luck with them :(

installed the ebay slave cylinder this morning, its also close to genuine quality. its made from polymer too, not metal. good for the price if you ask me. works a treat :) £30 including postage incase anyone is curious about this item in the future.