Sign in to follow this  
the delta force

Driver seat backrest

I think the cable has snapped in my drivers seat backrest as I am unable to bring it forward to get people in the back of the car. Its leather VR interior in an early 16v.

Do I have have to take the seat out/apart to repair?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Its not difficult but you need to be a bit careful. Once the seat is out, remove the headrest. Next tilt he seat fully forwards. At teh base of the back you will see a series of holes at the botom of the cover. These house the steel fingers which have been looped over. Carefully, and this is very important, witha screwdriver, open these from the front side of the seat towards the back. Take your time, you dont want to break these as they are the ones that hold the bacl of the seat cover on. Once you've straightened them somewhat, pull the cover down as far as reasonable. The bottom of the cover has a 3mm bar running through it which clips over the loops. Carefully unfold this from the loops and your cover is now off. Now is also a good time to put some reinforcement behind the seat bolster, or to repair the foam itself. HTH.

Brlliant,

Many thanks

Stefan

Its not difficult but you need to be a bit careful. Once the seat is out, remove the headrest. Next tilt he seat fully forwards. At teh base of the back you will see a series of holes at the botom of the cover. These house the steel fingers which have been looped over. Carefully, and this is very important, witha screwdriver, open these from the front side of the seat towards the back. Take your time, you dont want to break these as they are the ones that hold the bacl of the seat cover on. Once you've straightened them somewhat, pull the cover down as far as reasonable. The bottom of the cover has a 3mm bar running through it which clips over the loops. Carefully unfold this from the loops and your cover is now off. Now is also a good time to put some reinforcement behind the seat bolster, or to repair the foam itself. HTH.

you're very welcome. I see you're in Chiswick - i'm in Northwood Middx, so not too far away.

for a temporary fix, you can still tilt the seat forward (think that's what you mean?) by releasing the hook at the base of the seat with your hand.

Most importantly don't forget...

seat will need to come
:shock: :lol:

Is that why mine looks like someone spilt something creamy on it?

Good point, I forgot about that.

for a temporary fix, you can still tilt the seat forward (think that's what you mean?) by releasing the hook at the base of the seat with your hand.