Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Anyone fitted KW's before?

Right, I was trying to fit mr rear KW V3's this afternoon....

Got my Koni TA's out and went to put the KW's back in their place (with all new rubber mounts etc). Turns out that the KW's are about 3-5mm smaller in diameter on the threaded part on the top of the stanchion. The collars that sirt either side of the upper rubber mount of the top mounts and the nuts which hold the shock in place just slid straight over the top.

I phoned my mate on the VW parts desk as I thought that the smaller diameter could just require an early set of collars and nuts, but according to my man on the parts desk, the part number for the collars early to late are the same....

has anyone else fitted KW's and had similar issues? i spoke to regal autosport where i ordered them from and the bloke there said he didn't know and the bloke in the workshop who was likely to know had just gone home....

does anyone on here know the score? am i going to have to find some correct sized nuts to hold the shocks in place? - even then it seems a bit of a bad job, as the two collars which help secure the shock into the upper mount will have 1-2mm of play either side of the threaded bit, so won't hold it very well at all...

(apologies for the lack of pics, but it was just starting to rain :mad2: )

:scratch: help please...

thanks v much

Pete

Yep - you need the standard VW bits - the bits your trying to fit actually came with the Koni's...

Either order from VW or get off a Mk2 or 3 golf in a scappy if you've not got the originals...

Yep - you need the standard VW bits - the bits your trying to fit actually came with the Koni's...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - that makes sense!

cheers for that, i'll get onto VW tomorrow. it honestly hadn't occurred to me that Koni supply all their own bits for that; I thought that they were the standard VW bits that had been re-used! the reason i was thinking they might be off an earlier car or something; i remember reading in chris's thread (corrado-vr6-nos) ages ago when he replaced the rear shocks on his valver and thinking that they were lots thinner than the ones on my car.

problem solved, top man - thanks very much :D :D :D

No worries - those rear top plates need drilling out for the larger threads on the Koni's so make sure those stay with them also (in case you sell them etc)

My V3s went straight on. Apart from the rubbers, top hat and steel tube, I didn't need any of the original VW bits at all :shrug:

We're talking about going from rear Koni TA's to these tho Kev - remember the rear Koni's come with new hardware for the top mounts becuase the thread size is larger - and them you have to drill out the top spring plate too

What you doing with the Koni's and what springs do you have?

hey there my friend, all have eibach springs (albeit a bit rusty!) and rears i can confirm are not leaking...

have yet to get the front's off, ride was good until now though

i have given first refusal to a very good friend of mine who lives nearby. he has always helped me out loads when i've needed it and has been a bloody good egg in general, so, sorry - no hard feelings or anything, but he has definitely got first refusal. (he has got something like an s plate vw toledo. if the will rears will fit on that, then he can have them as his rears are currently buggered and the car is pointing at the stars when it drives down the road!)

if he doesn't have them then you are more than welcome to them - at a very good price i would imagine too. like i said, i haven't had the fronts off to check for oil misting etc, but the rears were fine.

i did have an add in the for sale section a while ago, but there were no takers. i won't want much for them, so you can have first refusal if you like. (collection or your arranged courier only though - from hereford, or possibly salisbury too, and the route in between)

cheers

:)

Pete