Sign in to follow this  
horney

Should I paint my rims?

So my wheels are a bit battered and could do with a new lease of life. I would dearly love a new set more suited to the Rado but I can't afford any at the moment. Some rattle cans and a day with the masking tape I can stretch to.

So from this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/293 ... 2c88_b.jpg

To this:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1305/37909676od7.jpg

Centers would be satin black and the red gloss.

What you guys think? I'm undecided.

Nick

Seems to the consensus on retro rides to! I best get myself some rattle cans and on the next sunny day get busy with the masking tape!

Nick

Nick, just do the wheels Black, then you can Tape the rims using Helfauds finest Fine-line pinstripe tape!

That way you can change the colour whenever you get "Bored"

Mate's done this with his Black Ibiza CupraR rims, so far gone red and now runs day-glo pink tape, sounds :gag: actually looks Ok (Black car too)

i like the idea of the black rims too. but just on your black car. thought about black painted rims on my red car but kept the silver.

what about the red tape using the car daily ?? how long does it look good?

The way i saw this being done was to cover the whole wheel face with masking tape and then a wallpaper knife (which has a very short blade so only cuts the tape without touching the wheel surface) with a bit of string was attached to the centre of the wheel, then he simply ran the knife around the wheel a couple of times keeping the string tight, to cut a thin stripe.

I suppose you could do the same with a pen just to mark it out first, you can also get holts paint pens which are ideal for this sort of thing.

Fine line tape is pretty flexible and can be bent (so to speak) at quite harsh angles. If your feeling confident that your happy to stay with one colour, laquer the wheel after you've put the tape on, it'll be alot more hard-wearing.

Yeah I quite like the look of that. I've got a set of black rims to go on mine at some point but on an Aqua blue so I think just black without any rim colour is safest for me.