Sign in to follow this  
theWhippet

Ferodo DS3000 - how bad until hot?

Hey there guys,

I've been looking into brake pads for my Corrado and have seriously been thinking about getting some Ferodo DS3000. I have read that these pads are really for track use only and take a while to work properly i.e. until they're up to temp. My main concern is this:

I plan to use my car as a dedicated trackday car - hence why I'm thinking about hardcore pads. However, I am not yet going to start trailering it to trackdays so I will need to drive the car to and from the tracks. Has anyone experienced the Ferodo DS3000 on their Corrado? How bad are they really before they get up to temp?

I suppose that I am really just concerned whether they will be too dangerous to use for the runs to and from the track.

Be interested in peoples opinions.

Cheers Ben

Hi Ben,

I currently run these pads on the front. They require very little initial braking to get them working well, so wouldnt worry about that. Mines a daily driver and I have never been caught out by them first thing in the morning. They really are awesome pads with a very hard bite and havent showed any signs of fade. Only down sides are a lot of brake dust and they are pretty aggressive with regards to eatting discs. For a track car though you cant go wrong!

ah ha!

Good stuff steve! Just the answer that I was hoping for :D I have heard so many good things about them and that was my only worry. Many thanks :salute:

Not tried the 3000's but I am on my second set of DS2500's with a standard 280mm setup and I have to say they are awesome, twice the price of what the Pagid Fast Road pads used to be but definetly worth it!

I don't really notice any major difference between hot and cold, they bite well initially and even better when warmed up - have never experienced fade like other pads altho have not used on track.

I'd agree with the discs comment above as the first set I had ate a pair of standard discs fairly quickly, I am now using black diamond's and they are showing no wear after 4k miles.

If your sticking with the 256mm discs I have a pair of new Black Diamonds for sale if needed and I work in Ipswich...

thanks for the offer Supercharged, but I think I'm going to try the Ferodo's on std discs for now, (will upgrade to a big brake kit when funds allow) I've heard so much praise for them it would be rude not to :D

Nice to see another Corrado owner near me :clap: I don't see half as many C's round here as much as I used to.

I must admit, when I first saw your location (Turnip Land - lol!) I did wonder if you were from roound here :grin:

DS3000s have a lot of iron content, so can be hard on discs as already mentioned, not to mention wheel laquer.

If you want incredible bite for track use, look no further than the Pagid RS15, aka "Pagid Grey". Mind bending stopping power. 0.65 coefficient of friction. 0 Co'eff = ice on ice. 1 = Iron bar through bike spokes. Stock pads are 0.35 - 0.4 co'eff. DS2500s, 0.45 co'eff regardless of temp. DS3000, 0.5 at 300 deg C. A little lower at colder temps.

How come the DS2500 feel like they work harder as they get warmer if the efficieny stays the same regardless of temp?

hey cheesewire, was it defo RS15 that you mean?

I've just had a look on the Pagid website and they don't seem to be available for the Corrado. Pagid RS14 are but not 15.

How come the DS2500 feel like they work harder as they get warmer if the efficieny stays the same regardless of temp?

The pad's friction behaviour doesn't change, but the disc's does.

hey cheesewire, was it defo RS15 that you mean?

I've just had a look on the Pagid website and they don't seem to be available for the Corrado. Pagid RS14 are but not 15.

Ah, that's a point. I forgot the RS15 may not be available for OE calipers. They're mainly for race calipers.

Hmm somewhat confused about what I have just slung on the car...

Box labelled Pagid fast Road pads.. but not on the site... http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk... I'm guessing as they are Black coloured on the backs they are "RS4-2-1"???

Also the bedding in process on the pagid site seems a bit Excessive for road discs/pads:

1 brake application with medium to high pedal pressure from approx 110mph to 50mph

without allowing wheels to lock.

Allow 3-4 recovery brake applications with light pedal pressure.

Repeat high speed applications including recovery applications another 2-3 times.

Allow a cooling off distance of 500 metres between high speed applications.

:shock:

LOL, they are the Race pad bedding procedures :lol:

Yeah Guessed that, just wanted to make sure as I'd probably end up with a Grey Turbot'd VR up my jacksie doing that on our "Private Test Track" :lol:

So what would be bedding in for F/R pads? The same just lower speeds?

For a road car I just gradually increase pedal pressure as the mileage increases. Just avoid any 100mph emergency stops and you'll be fine :D

For a road car I just gradually increase pedal pressure as the mileage increases. Just avoid any 100mph emergency stops and you'll be fine :D

Am doing that just wanted to make sure there wasn't another way...

Bit tough to avoid "stoppies" on the M25 :lol: