Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Going to look at a Mk4 Golf 1.8T any bits 2 look for?

Having a look at a nice looking 2001 Mk4 1.8T Gti tomorrow with 59k on the clock.

Not too clued up on the Mk4 any common problems to look out for. It has had belts changed already.

Thanks

Matt

The waterpump should have been changed with the belts. Also, the coil packs will likely have been changed by now. It's certainly worth checking. Apart from that, I can't think of anything beyond the usual checks off the top of my head.

Is it standard?

As said if the belts and pump have been done thats it really. Check for a rattle at the top right of the engine (when viewed from the front) at start up. This is the CCT and I had mine go on the S3.

Mk4 are prone for going through bushes IIRC. Very good everyday car though, just try and get an early one so you dont have to fork out on the higher tax.

As said if the belts and pump have been done thats it really. Check for a rattle at the top right of the engine (when viewed from the front) at start up. This is the CCT and I had mine go on the S3.

Oh whats a CCT m8?

Cam chain tensioner. I dont think it too common (plus mine was a different code engine) but it costs a few hundred to fix. Engine must be cold and it will do it for a few seconds then quiten down.

Cam chain tensioner. I dont think it too common (plus mine was a different code engine) but it costs a few hundred to fix. Engine must be cold and it will do it for a few seconds then quiten down.

Ok nice one worth a listen for.

How about the turbo's I imagine they are really unstressed?

Not sure, it will be a 150bhp so a K03 i think. There are KO3s's which are the 180bhp and then K04's as used on the Leon Cupra R and S3. Its probably more complicated than that but I dont think Ive ever heard of turbo issues.