Sign in to follow this  
markmoog

Is 1700 a good boost reading for a standard G60?

I've got a completely standard setup and, when I followed the guide, hit 1700 when redlined in third. I ran the test again the next day and it only got to 1650. Now, according to the guide:

1600 8.7 psi (Your charger needs new apex strips or big boost leak)

1800 11.6 psi (Great for stock pulley, Probably needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

I should've been getting a reading of 1800. The idiot I bought the car from said the charger was bought at the start of the year and was a 'stage 1' charger which came with a different ECU (albeit in an identical case to a standard VW unit) which was supposed to have a slightly more aggressive fueling map. Anyway, he didnt have the reciept for this so I can't really find out any more about what did or didn't happen to my charger which is why i'm questioning the 1700 reading I got. I've searched and can't find anything referencing a 'stage 1' charger/rebuild and without the paperwork I haven't a clue how I can prove the charger's credentials?

So, does the 1700 reading suggest my charger is in need of a rebuild before I do anything else or should I press on with what i've planned (68mm pulley & SNS chip, oil cooler, maybe FMIC) and leave the rebuild for now?

wot he said^^

the lower reading could just be a leak off a vac pipe

But i wouldn't run any mods without getting the charger looked at by a reputable firm such as G werks with or without paper work, Chargers are easily changed.

Stage 1 basically sounds like a basic rebuild to me. As per everyone else says really, don't start panicking just yet and also see if you can do the test in 4th and see what the reading is.

Will be worth getting it checked out if you are worried though.