Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Fuel Woes

So, after thinking to myself that I hadn't treated the VR to any goodies in a while, I got her a very nice set of speedlines to replace her corroded kurbed originals, and a BMC CDA. :D

How does she repay me? Breaks down on the way home from work last night, 2230, freezing and throwing it down with a very nice sleet/snow mix. Not impressed to say the least. :mad2:

Turns over fine on the key, plenty of fuel in her (1/2 tank), she's trying to start sometimes, tries to fire up but it seems the fuel pump or the pump relay has given up the ghost, there's just not enough fuel reaching the engine for her to fire up fully.

You can't hear the pump prime when you turn the key to 2 as you normally would, so I've got a relay from VW today £22 :shock: , also ordered a fuel pump as it's always had an annoying whistle/hum, which has got louder lately, so I'm just gonna swap it out anyway.

Pump cost £138 from the stealers :gag: (10% off that with CCGB discount though :notworthy: ). The only saving grace here is that my VR has a VDO pump fitted so I don't need to fork out the extra £58 for the sender unit, I can re-use the existing one. :p

Checked through the service records and receipts today and it seems the fuel filter has NEVER been changed, I reckon it's probably this thats lead to the pump failing, trying too hard to push fuel through a 13 year old filter. :brickwall:

So after an hours wait in the cold, she was loaded onto the back of a flatbed recovery wagon, and piggybacked home. Looking very sorry for herself.

Thought I'd share my deep joy with you, and the moral is, never buy gifts for your C, as they're ungrateful b*****ds!

Any tips on the fuel pump/filter swap greatly appreciated, found a good article in the wiki on here for the filter, and a pictorial on the vortex for the pump, but if anyone's got any tricks they wouldn't mind sharing...

Cheers guys, feel's better to have got that off my chest. :lol:

My tip for changing the filter...make sure your eyes are not directly underneath when you pull the lines off...in fact make sure your eyes are nowhere near the damn thing!!!