Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

front hub and CV strip-down advice?

OK, this weekend I plan to replace both front bearings on my valver with VW ones and fit 2 new out CV boots, any tips, suggestions or advice?

So far I've got on my list:

a long breaker bar for the hub nuts

bearings x2

plenty of CV grease for re-packing CV's

2x CV boots (the original 18yr old ones are still in one piece but starting to perish)

most of the parts have been apart relatively recently, so I'm not expecting and nasty siezed bits.

David, see my project thread. I have done both those things in the last few months :salute: (Realistically, what haven't I done? :pale: )

Outer CV swap, page 30 ish

General wheel hub removal should be:

Hub nut removed,

Wheel nuts loosened,

jack up car,

wheel off,

Caliper off / strung up to coil spring,

disc off,

Track control arm off,

2 x suspension to hub bolts off,

Driveshaft out,

Lower Ball Joint out,

Hub off.

Isn't the search a wonderful thing? ;)

Edit: think the CV comes on it's own and the boot in a seperate pack (hence why I had 2 hub nuts), along with pre-installed grease so no messy hands, and also a new hub nut usually. See my thread for more info and pics.

Doh !! Just looked in my outer CV goodie boxes, i got new nuts in there too !! I've got exactly what you posted in your pic boost monkey.

David, see my project thread. I have done both those things in the last few months :salute: (Realistically, what haven't I done? :pale: )

cheers mate,

just being lazy this morning :)

I don't know how I've missed reading your build thread, great to see all that work and progress, real deja-vous for me a lot of that :)

something to do later on, can't spend all day at work reading it!

Most get one of those POR starter kits too.

Is it worth replacing both lower ball joints and steering ball joints while you're at it? And the two bolts through the suspension strut, although I've never bothered with them.

Have you got ABS? I guess not, but might be worth putting new cages on if you do.

Mrs Wort to stand on the brake pedal while you undo and retorque the hub bolts?

deffo replace the LBJ bolts, they always seem to be the hardest to get off and the lack of space around both ends doesn't help things.

one thing you should know about the CVs is that the circlip is a one-use item (like so many other things!) and probably worth replacing for peace of mind seeing as they're about 13p each.

You get the circlip, hub nut etc with the CV kit, you also get a nut with the bearing kit and the 2 nuts for the suspension, I would also buy new bolts to go with these and also the plate and the 3 bolts for the BBJ as you don't get these either, just the pinch bolt in the bearing kit.

well the bearings came today from VAG, 20 quid each but made in France? Some 3 letter mark on them ATN or something, can't remember, left them at the workshops until I get the hubs off to press them in.

The CV boot is a pattern one and came with grease but not a hub nut, but the bearings did.

I guess it's about time I replaced the suspension bolts as they've been on and off a fair few times.

No ABS to worry about and yes, I may have too request the assistance of Mrs W. more than the usual cups of coffee :)

I've done the entire track rods and lower BJ's recently, so no need to do them, in fact bar the actual rack the bearings are the last original part I can think of is still on the car!

that's the odd thing, I'd expect to see SKF or GKN, but these have something else on the side of them, will get a pic when I fit them on the hubs.