Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

Fitting CDA, Broke Filter For MAF.

Dsc02324.jpg[/attachment:12pmoawo]

Ok, I was disconnecting the airbox to measure the diameter of silicone needed for my CDA. Put the airbox back together and broke the metal filter at the end of the MAF.

Does anyone know if you can buy these as a standalone part. They clip out easily. Or does it even matter?

Ooops. I dont think they do anything except stop large bits of dirt hitting the maf sensor. Which is pretty unlikely given theres an airfilter in the way.

I guess they put the gauze there as its such a delicate (and expensive) part.

There was some theory that the gauze "aligned" the airflow or some such, I don't buy that.

If I were you I'd probably just pull the rest out and keep an eye on the classifieds for a MAF witht he same part number to keep in stock as a spare.

There was some theory that the gauze "aligned" the airflow or some such, I don't buy that.

It's not theory. That is precisely what it's for. Turbulent air over MAF sensors can cause false readings.

The engine won't stop working if it's removed, but it will run optimally if it's fitted.

The dealer doesn't think its a component you can buy. Took it out just in case it gets sucked down the throttle body.

Gonna try to repair it tommorow with some chemical metal.

Anyone got a spare one from a faulty MAF?