Sign in to follow this  
Hilary

Soaking passenger rear footwell

Please help! :confused4: I've had a leak in the rear passengers footwell for the last 2 years, it's been into VW garage 6 times to be fixed---each time unsuccessfully (they didn't charge--thank god), They say I need a new door seal---they can't fix it 'cause they can't get the part. I need to find someone preferably in London who can fix this once and for all---everywhere else is dry as a bone, even the carpet surrounding the wet, it's getting worse---as the weather starts to turn---I'm running out of newspaper! I'm new to the forum so if there's anyone out there who could advise a frustrated female as to where to get it sorted please! please! respond before I drown!

Welcome to the forum!

Do you park facing uphill at all?

I would press down on the carpet in front of the front seat and see if thats wet, If so then it's likely to be water leaking in around the heater fan seal or a (very) badly fitted replacement windscreen.

Have a look here for changing that seal - very easy little job to do and worthwhile changing even if it doesn't fix the issue

http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/C ... over'_Seal

It also could be a blocked drain tube for the sunroof but I would expect you'd notice water dripping down as your driving...

Hi there,

This is quite a common problem, and there can be a few different causes. It's always worth trying the search feature (top right of your screen) to see if you can uncover a solution :)

Here's a couple of threads to have a read through;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45538&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=wet+footwell

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64822&p=802854&hilit=wet+footwell#p802854

It also could be a blocked drain tube for the sunroof but I would expect you'd notice water dripping down as your driving...

Has the same problem on mine and this was the culprit - might be worth a go mate as is only a 2 minute job........

Guest Richie-poos

i have had a few friends that have had similar trouble and i will do my best to explain their troubles and solutions.

1) if u have had a windscreen fitted recently then check the drains on the scuttle panel, the bond from the old screen could be blocking them and the water buildin up and gettin in the fan...

2)this one, u might not like if its happening..... if u are losing coolant when the temp control is on hot then u have a leaky heater matrix. it all flows into the passenger side and u'll notice the windows steamin up for no reason. a pain in the arse fix and lots of money if u dont wanna attempt the job of replacing it yourself. they are prone to goin on the rado's.

3)another one worth lookin at is if u have had the door card off. there is a plastic sheet between the door card and the door and if this split then that could be the culprit. its an easy fix,and just requires a some plastic sheeting and double sided tape (sounds like blue peter i know but i have done this and it works) and a bit of time 'ponsing about' to get it cut into shape. whilst ur at it, check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors, a poke thro with a piece of wire will fix this.

i hope this helps and good luck!!

the random fountain of useless knowledge!!

Well it's happened again today to me so I thought I'd throw my money in.

My passenger footwells (front and back) have been flooding like a sonofabitch since I got my Rad and have done the following to try and fix it....

Change membrane

Reset door to make a tighter fit

Refit airfilter scuttle and reseal with industrial bonding stuff

I'm bloody lost now and rapidly loosing hope. I'm even considering drilling holes in the floor as water run offs! (ok, maybe not)

Well it's happened again today to me so I thought I'd throw my money in.

My passenger footwells (front and back) have been flooding like a sonofabitch since I got my Rad and have done the following to try and fix it....

Change membrane

Reset door to make a tighter fit

Refit airfilter scuttle and reseal with industrial bonding stuff

I'm bloody lost now and rapidly loosing hope. I'm even considering drilling holes in the floor as water run offs! (ok, maybe not)

Or do it Top Gear style with a hunting rifle :norty: