Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

What's wrong with my dipstick/oil system?

A while ago, I realised that I didn't have a little plastic liner bit on my dipstick tube that other VWs of that era seems to have (and IIRC, ETKA lists too for the Corrado). I am concerned that my dipstick does not sit at the correct level and perhaps over-reads because of this.

I seem to have quite a strange oil system setup. Firstly, my oil filter elements do not match those that are expected for my year of VR6 (1994). When I first bought filter elements I got the ones with the narrow central hole, but it soon became obvious that these wouldn't fit as the central 'thing' on the filter element housing was far too big. I have to buy them for a later Golf (around 1996 or something) in order for them to fit.

Secondly, of course, I don't seem to have the correct dipstick setup according to ETKA.

Here's a photo:Dipstick.JPG[/attachment:3897wqci]

Have I got some sort of weird oil system from a later VR6 design? Why do I have to use filter elements with the large hole, and don't seem to have a dipstick plastic liner/spacer thing at the top? Is this a problem?

Should only be one type of filter for the Corrado VR6 (the ABV anyway)

I reckon that might have had a replacement engine at some point early in it's life

Why do I have to use filter elements with the large hole

Check your engine code on the block - you need to remove the airbox to see it and may need to clean it up with sandpaper to read.

It could be that you have a replacement late AAA 2.8 bottom end. Not uncommon as the 2.9 suffers from bore wear due to poor cooling on the outer cylinders and the easiest fix is to whack a common 2.8 one on.

If this is the case it won't be down on power much at all as its not the capacity that makes the biggest difference its the throttle body and intake configuration IIRC - AAA is 2792cc and ABV 2861cc. A good AAA will prob make more power than the old smoky ABV anyway!

If it says ABV then its the 2.9 original but someone may have cracked the filter housing and used a replacement off a late AAA engine.

Why do I have to use filter elements with the large hole

Check your engine code on the block - you need to remove the airbox to see it and may need to clean it up with sandpaper to read.

It could be that you have a replacement late AAA 2.8 bottom end. Not uncommon as the 2.9 suffers from bore wear due to poor cooling on the outer cylinders and the easiest fix is to whack a common 2.8 one on.

If this is the case it won't be down on power much at all as its not the capacity that makes the biggest difference its the throttle body and intake configuration IIRC - AAA is 2792cc and ABV 2861cc. A good AAA will prob make more power than the old smoky ABV anyway!

If it says ABV then its the 2.9 original but someone may have cracked the filter housing and used a replacement off a late AAA engine.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll check that engine code when I get a minute. I knew the 2.8 was AAA and 2.9 ABV, but I didn't know where the code was stamped on the block, so thanks for that.

I reckon it's not a new engine actually. It is probably just a new filter housing. IIRC, the dipstick is part of that, or at least attached to it.

I've had the car since 2002 and it was made in 1994. But it had 172,000 miles on it when I bought it. I suppose it's possible it's a new engine or block, but I would be surprised if this was the case.

From another thread:

The complete engine number is stamped into the block above the water pump pulley. Might need to sand it with some emery cloth to see it. Cross reference it with the one on your log book.

Sometimes the "engine code" is also stamped on the flat bit of the block underneath the chain tensioner bolt. AAA or ABV.

I had to remove the airbox to see mine.

the dipstick has nothing to do with the oil filter housing as i said befor thats a normal dipstick and goes into the block,what makes you think there is something a miss ?

As for filter,yes they are two but not on engine size but more on year of manufacture.

The 2.8 Blocks have the number stamped on the back of the motor,near the intermidiate shaft cap.

The 2.9 Block is on the side of the motor(water pump side) just before the head.