Sign in to follow this  
Terencem215

Gti Engineering RE2000

Ive got an 8v version sitting in the garage. I presume yours is a 16v? If it is then your spec should read as follows

16V RE2000 conversion.

This is the top of the range MK2 16V conversion for all-out performance! Power is increased to give a top speed of 133mph with acceleration to match.

The conversion comprises:

* Steel crankshaft of 92.8mm stroke,

* Cylinder block specially machined with 82.5mm bore,

* Lead-Indium heavy duty crankshaft bearings,

* Alloy pistons with valve clearance cut-outs,

* Gasflowed cylinder head,

* Re-profiled inlet and exhaust valve throats,

* Gasflowed inlet and exhaust manifold,

* Selected valve springs,

* Modified injection system.

Great engines! If i had another MK1 id be putting my one in but i think i'll end up getting rid of mine, it's been sitting in the garage doing nothing for about 6 years!!

A bit slow I know but just noticed this post. Gti Engineering did an RE2000 16v conversion that is a 2ltr but the also did a RE2100 16v Club sport that was 2.1ltr. These are very rare as they cost a fortune. I only know of two and one of these was their demo.

they're not really a 2.1, early 2.0L conversions used custom cranks etc but once the 9A engine became available they simply used VW cranks in their conversions, so with slightly bigger pistons and using the 9A (1984cc crank) the club sport was under 2.05 L from what I remember. They are basically the same as the 2.1 that TSR sold too, slightly lower revving, limited to around 6,500 rpm compared to the 7,200 of a 1984cc 9A internals based engine (the 2L conversion)

A lot of the 2L conversions were based on KR blocks, personally although plenty of these have done hundreds of thousands of miles I'd prefer a 6A/9A or even better ACE/ABF mk3 16v engine.

The specs of GTI Engineering engine conversions were almost unique to each customer though, so depending on the choice of cams and other components some were built to be much higher revving and power outputs varied from motor to motor, if you believe the marketing bumpf then around 190bhp was the crank figure for a 2.1 club sport package. The main reason few were sold was that for similar cost you could buy a VR6 mk3 by the time they started to market the 2.1.

I ended up buying a RE2100 Club Sport and one magazine test it was featured in lists the cc at 2058 with 84mm pistons. Max power and torque both at 6000rpm but it goes on to rev past 7000rpm. Top speed is 140mph (19.9mph per 1000rpm). TSR did a 2.1 conversion (I owned one of these) but it was not in the same league as GTi Engineering.