Sign in to follow this  
Mystic Rado

Mk3 Golf GTis - owt I should know?

Just in case anyone's remotely interested, a few weeks on... I bought a clean five-door Mk3 GTi in mystic blue with Solitudes, recently fitted and slightly lowered suspension. Radiator blew a week after I bought it - doh - and needed new tyres, plus the reflector in one headlight is floating around, but otherwise seems pretty good. My neighbours, bless 'em, thought it was the Storm because it's the same colour, doh...

The good bits are that it's comfortable, handles okay on a slightly blobby sort of way and has lots of low down torque, so it's quite relaxed for driving around in a mellow way. It's also comfortable and relatively quiet on the motorway and on longer journeys gives effortless high 30s mpg figures. It's all very, erm, grown up and sensible for day to day motoring and feels solid and well put together.

But... it is boring as hell, there's no top-end kick and, like everyone said when they first came out, it doesn't deserve to be badged as a GTi. My old Mk2, with TSR head, cam, chip, manifold, Jetex, poly bushes, Konis etc, would blow it into the weeds and then stomp on its quivering corpse, despite being noisy, rough and basically quite primitive to drive. I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't really do 'civilised and comfortable and economic', so some time next year, I'll be looking for a clean, sound Mk2 to stick the engine and associated bits from my Mk2 into.

I guess for winter I'll live with bland and comfortable, but honestly, modern cars are rubbish, FACT ;-)