Sign in to follow this  
cope

Emergency brake and ABS light- DASH

Hi there,

I cant believe im back here haha.... had one problem that was curred by the help of all you people in here, but now im back with another little minor problem.

I noticed that my ABS and Emergency lights were not coming on in my dash, so i took the plastic knob off and noticed that it was not connected.

Sooo i connected it, and turned the car on, the ABS light comes on and turns off after 5 seconds give or take, and the emergency brake like comes on also, but it doesnt turn off right away. Sometimes it turns off when the ABS light turns off, and then while im driving, the damn light comes back on.

Now my brake is not pulled up during this time (:

When the light turns off, i can put the brake on and the light comes on, and when i put it back down it turns off.

Any ideas why it goes on and off when it pleases??

The ABS light always stays off and doesnt come on when the brake light does.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

PS, i assume that when i bought the car, the previous owner unplugged it for this reason.

Thanks!!!

Check your brake fluid level, as this can turn the warning light on... If that's OK then I'd say it's the wear indicator for your front pads that's causing this... 8)

Some Corrados were specc'd with sensors built into the front brake pads that make the warning light come on when they wear to a certain level. Someone has probably replaced the pads at some point with cheaper pads that don't have the sensors in them, so your brake warning lamp is warning you that your pads are low... I'd guess that if you take off a front wheel, you'll find a cable either hanging around not connected to anything, or tied to something like the suspension strut. My bet is that this cable is either shorting on something (could be full of road muck) or has been damaged and is shorting onto whatever it is it's tied to... When this shorts out it turns the light on... :?

Have a look behind the front wheels and see if you can see the wire I mean... If you have ABS, there'll be 2 sets of wires, one going to the ABS sensor on the bearing carrier, and the other will be the wear indicator connector... 8)

Yup it was the brake fluid level, it was low. Light stays off now.

Thx Henny for pointing me "again" in the right direction!

Who did you buy the car off?!?

It's more hassle to disconnect the damn wiring than top up the brake fluid, SURELY?!

hehe yeah it was a paint to get that wire out.... but everything seems to be a pain for these cars ):

I have a few more questions that i will post a new topic on... hopefully i can get some insight on these "other minor problems.

Cool, Glad I could help...

I'll lock this thread up seening as it's dead... 8)