Sign in to follow this  
vagingit.co.uk

cold starting/running issues with kr valver

Ive just bought a very early (manual windows/no sunroof) kr 16v corrado for my other half. Weve bought it knowing one problem, cold starting is a bugger! when you turn the key, it sounds like its flooded,and wont fire up, but turn the ignition off, try again, and it then fires up immediately, and runs sweet! It does this every morning/when its cold

Whilst the car is warming up, its very sluggish, until its warmed up a bit, then runs like a new car!

any ideas guys?

the work my mate who owned it before has done is comprehensive, fully rebuilt engine, new main and lift pumps, new leads/plugs etc. Tested the cold start valve, and thats working well, thermotime switch replaced!

anything else I could be overlooking?

Is it holding pressure in the fuel system? try turning the key on and off a few times before turning it all the way to engage the starter, that way the fuel pump will prime the system up well first. If that helps then I guess the pressure accumulator may be dodgy.

Otherwise, the injectors may be leaking fuel into the cylinders if they are very old and worn out.

Ive just bought a very early (manual windows/no sunroof) kr 16v corrado for my other half. anything else I could be overlooking?

Hi

I am envious.

Check with the previous owner if the WUR (Warm up regulator) has been looked at.