Sign in to follow this  
12 DEG BEN

Another Strange issue, Washer jets

Dont know if this has cropped up with anyone car but when I spray the windscreen the car decides that the rear screen needs some water too. Does'nt the pump spin one way for the front and the reverse for the rear making what my car does, impossible! These cars are so special! Like herbie or something.

some pretty wierd things can happen when the stalks get old and very worn, you need to check which contacts are being made at the multi-switch/contact parts at the base of the wiper stalk.

My wipers used to operate by themselves when I went over bumps. I changed my stalk and all was well again.

Toad,

Slightly off the subject, but the Indicator stalk on my Corrado is very "slack" compared to the action of the wipers - Is it an easy job to change the stalk?

Ian

Fairly easy.

Steering wheel off (24mm socket I think), steering wheel cowling off, then the levers come off possibly in a pair. There is a mulitplug for the levers underneath I think.

yeah, easy really, just 3 screws (once the wheel is off) hold the two stalks to the column, there's a couple of multiplugs either side to remove from the back of each stalk.

the problem with the wiper stalk is a small multi contact square shaped piece that moves away from it's correct 'rest' position as a lug on the stalk wears, this means the contacts can make connections with very little movement of the stalks, as toad found out, sometimes a bit of a bump and they make contact. It is actually possible to repair them quite easily, but 2nd hand ones are pretty easy to come by and passat/golf ones are identical apart from the length of the MFA button connection wire, which can be lengthened pretty easily as it's only about 4 small thin wires.