Sign in to follow this  
carter711

VR6 failed MOT :(

I took my VR6 for its MOT test today, it clearly hadn't beedn revising as it failed on worn front discs and a steamed up headlight :(

Is there an easyway to clear the moisture from the headlight? I haven't had a good look yet but can you take the headlight apart?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that does well priced Corrado discs? I live near Croydon if that's any help.

Any help appreciated!

take the headlight out, remove the caps and bulbs from the back of it and put it lens down on a towel on top of a radiator, had to do the same to get my dads chinquecento through its MOT.

the headlights come apart quite easily, just take it off.

then you will see lots of metal clips around the side, just lever them off with a screwdriver. then the glass just pulls off.

Go to the dealer and order front discs. Shoudlnt be too expensive and fit new pads at the same time. Pagid FR's seem to be good. Front brakes are a piece of piss to change.

between the light body and the glass theres a rubber gasket which shrinks and hardens over time thats why they steam up. best off splitting the light as said above, let it dry out then seal it up with a bead of silicone when you put it back together. if you ever need to split the light in the future you can just run a scalpel round the joint.

Cheers Lufbramatt, I'm going to be doing this over the weekend so will buy some silicone sealant.

Regarding the discs and pads, i tried a few places but in the end went to my local VW dealer and got 2 front discs and pads for £127 which i thought wasn't too bad for genuine items.