Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

other things to consider when lowering the corrado!!

hi

what other things must you consider when lowering your corrado

ie renewing top mounts both front and back

do you need to do any thing to the rear brake compensator valve??

and also what is a sensible drop on coilovers?

been lookin on here but cant find a thread/guide on this info help

many thanks

chris

im going to be changing the silly crashy suspensin on mine soon

the list of what i am changing for piece of mind is:

brand new topmounts

new wishbones

new track rod ends

new anti roll bar links

and polybush rear beam

and then get the car 4 wheel aligned

about 80mm should be sensible :tongue:

(edit:added smiley :) )

im going to be lowering my VR6 over christmas.

where are the best places to get all the bits mentioned earlier, wishbones, track rod ends etc. is it best to go for original parts or is there uprated stuff you can get?

wow compared to the list above, i took the easy route. My lowering consists of lowering springs from GSF and my mates garage to change them in. I didnt even change the bumper stops!!!! oops :nuts:

its an old car at the end of the day...parts are not going to be at their best..especialy perishable rubber

if you lower the car you will be putting more strain on everything..sooner or later you will have to replace bits anyway...makes sence to just do it all in one go and experience proper handling 1st time round.

the brake compensator is something i dont know about...i was under the impression that it will adjust itself as it realises the car is lower, but i spose thinking about if its lower it thinks theres weight in the boot so it might brake rear heavy... anyone got info on this would be quality.

i did promise myself id get genuine VW parts, ...but ive got some vibring original top mounts from GSF...anyone used these?...i used to MURDER topmounts on my old car so i thought id get cheapish ones and just replace em

i agree with G charged, parts are not going to be at their best..especialy perishable rubber, and it does make sence to just do it all in one go and experience proper handling 1st time round.

i have a started to get all the parts together from VW as i was to replace the perishable with OE stuff,

i plan on starting this next week so may post step by step guide on here of what i did (unless theres one on here already)

yep go point 'vwdeviant' my spoilers the 90mm elder one, so might look and going for the later 50mm for extra clearance!!

my only real worry is about the brake compo valve, i dont want my car facing the wrong way the first time i test the new suspension!!!lol

if you want rid of the 90mm i mite have that off ya if its a senible price!

chris, i have been reading that the original vw rear bushes are a BASTARD to get in...polybushing the rear is far easier, but you lose the rear steering malarky...personaly i dont like it...feels like the rear is sliding when it isnt...or maybe that sjust my car :confused:

Top mounts are something i need to replace and ive only been running coilovers for 4 months nearly

top mounts at a minimum. need to modify ARB drop links too if you go really low, otherwise they will pop out and make a knocking noise as your ARB will be loose

where is a good place to by all the bits needed?wishbones etc

i tried GFS today and i was told all of the bits i wanted were for the G60 model. i have a VR6. or are they the same for each model? :?

Also consider speed humps when loweing the car! And the life of the chin spoiler!

vwdeviant is right i dont have a chin spoiler because i cant get outta my drive with my car lowered 40 mm :mad2: spent ages finding one to find out i cant bloody use it :brickwall:

well got the wife to pick up all the bits i ordered from TPS today, looking forward to fitting my coilovers at the weekend,

xo3w34.jpg

dont think she could believe that a couple of bits of rubber would come to over £70 quid!!! :) big thanks to A1 VR6 for all the help and advise cheers bill :notworthy:

here are the coilovers that are going on her

2jaghw9.jpg

i also brought these 288mm calipers,which i plan on fitting over the xmas period, just got them back from the shot blasters just need painting now!( big thanks to big pants baby who i brought them off)

ih1b7l.jpg

the brake compensator is something i dont know about...i was under the impression that it will adjust itself as it realises the car is lower, but i spose thinking about if its lower it thinks theres weight in the boot so it might brake rear heavy... anyone got info on this would be quality.

The compensator needs adjusting when the car is lowered. If you check it with the car at standard height, and try to reset the compensator to this setting when the car is lowered. Off the top of my head you want the spring just starting to be under load when the car is on the ground.

feels like the rear is sliding when it isnt...or maybe that sjust my car :confused:

That sounds like knackered rear bushes.

There's lots i don't know, like why people buy them, Lol.

Worth getting a second opinion, everyone makes mistakes.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of polybushes, The original bushes lasted 17 years and 200,000 miles in mine, so i'm going to replace with the same stuff.

I don't think there would be much difference between brand new OE bushes and brand new poly bushes in terms of how your car is transformed.