Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

Warming up !!

Everytime I get into the c I try to warm it up before we get moving, sometimes this involves letting it sit on the driveway for 5 mins before setting off......its got to the stage where I'm a bit obsessed with it, but thats another story....my girlfriend thinks I'm mad aswell :lol:.

Anyway, my question is, is it true that the vast majority of a cold engines wear and tear comes from the load its put under when moving, and that when there is no load....sitting still.....its ok to increase the revs to quite a high level to warm it through more quickly ???

I have read somewhere that this is in part why you hear F1 cars rev the nuts off themselves when sitting still as it doesnt actually put much stress on the engine......not that I'm comparing my C to an F1 car you know :D

most manuals i've read say to drive away as soon after starting as possible, i think its something to do with the build up of something and the catalytic convertor

most manuals i've read say to drive away as soon after starting as possible, i think its something to do with the build up of something and the catalytic convertor

Really :shock: blimey I've never read that before !!

I believe the corrado manual tells you to drive away as soon as possible, but not to use excessive revs, or to let the engine labour until it's warm.

There's loads of ways of looking at this. TBH.

.....so am I the only one that for years thought I was doing the write thing in letting the engine warm up before I drive it when in actual fact I m doing it more harm than good......

Just drive it below 3000rpm in suitable gears (i.e. don't let it labour in 5th up a steep hill) and don't rag it until its oil is warm, and don't worry.....!!

pb

I always let mine run for a few mins before i drive it. The manual states no spirited driving until the oil temp hits 50

I always let mine run for a few mins before i drive it. The manual states no spirited driving until the oil temp hits 50

50? I think you mean 80 mate.. oil is never going to be working effectively at 50 centigrade.

I always start my car and drive it as soon as possible but NEVER using full throttle, and always changing up by 3000RPM.

The idea is to get the engine warm as quickly as possible but not put it under any great stress, it takes a long time for the engine to warm up when it's just sat there not under any load at all. It also doesn't do the CAT any good, but on modern engines there is often a air flap allowing blown air onto the CAT to get it hotter quickly....

The idea is to get the engine warm as quickly as possible but not put it under any great stress, it takes a long time for the engine to warm up when it's just sat there not under any load at all. It also doesn't do the CAT any good, but on modern engines there is often a air flap allowing blown air onto the CAT to get it hotter quickly....

....ok so the only damaged you possibly could do by letting it idle for ten mintues when stone cold is to the cat, so if you have a de-cat :) then no worries !!

I understand all the basics about changing up early, and letting the oil get up to temp, but what I was really getting at was can you rev it when sitting still, stone cold, under no load and not do the engine any harm......its more a question of interest over anything else.