Sign in to follow this  
Robz

repeater romval... what for... see post

hi, just bought a new, well used wing for the c,

but then realised the side repeater has been covered up and painted...

now i wondered what mod this is for, had a look on the search but couldnt find anything.

sure ive seen something about them though.

do ya put them in the mirrors, or get rid all together???

cheers,

rob.

To be honest I'm not sure how people have gotten away without side repeaters in this country. It's a requirement for the MOT so they must have very accommodating MOT testers! You'll have to find a solution somehow..

ahh, ok,

so it is a bit dodge then,

rightyo, will have to put a hole in it again then...

lol, cheers mate!!

rob.

Basically, the way things happen is if they are there, they have to be tested..if they arnt there...then they are not tested.

technicaly..if the vehicle left the factory with them then they are to be tested and if they are not there then it fails. Ive had friends of mine tape a indicator to the wing and still pass..

all depends on the MOT guy, if hes clued up or if he can be botherd..pretty much like most MOT aspects

yeah, i have good mot guy,

he's quite sensible,

when i had the mini, if something was wrong with it, he knew id get it fixed asap,

so as long as it wasnt something serious... slightly white brake light or something, he'd pass it...

but im not sure about this repeater, if its a legality, and there isnt a particular mod, its going back on!!!

lol

cheers though peeps!!

rob

Basically, the way things happen is if they are there, they have to be tested..if they arnt there...then they are not tested.

technicaly..if the vehicle left the factory with them then they are to be tested and if they are not there then it fails. Ive had friends of mine tape a indicator to the wing and still pass..

all depends on the MOT guy, if hes clued up or if he can be botherd..pretty much like most MOT aspects

All vehicles must have side repeaters if built after 1973 (I think it's 73 anyway), you should fail without but some MOT testers are a little slack/forgiving. As the new MOT rules ar eintroduced more and more of these little mods will be picked up on the vehicle failed.

For instance engine swaps now require a letter from the garage that installed it or engine manufacturer stating mileage, CC and fuel type. WIthout this the DVLA will not update your V5. Then when you MOT your car and the computer sees two diferent engine numbers the car will be failed at best, at worst VOSA will be called to inspect the car to decided if it needs an SVA test and a Q plate.

There was an update this week on exhausts. When revved for emmisions testing it should not be louder than standard ones in average condition. Fail if it is. Shouldn't really effect many folks as I assume, like me, most know their MOT tester well and he'll use his discretion. All this however is a sig that bit by bit moddified cars will be legislated off the road.

Nick

Nick, think it'll be ?83? otherwise Old-style bugs would have had them!

Unsure about the engine swap's either... otherwise a lot of home conversions/ Kit builders will be fooked too!

SVA doesn't mean a Q plate either as long as the majority of one car is used, will retain it's plate.

I doubt the exhaust too as will entail decibel meters being used.. otherwise it's "Subjective"

Ah yes 83, I knew it had a 3 in there somewhere!

Other stuff is all true I'm afraid fella, I know people who've been getting letters back from the DVLA when they've tried to change the engine number. They will no longer change it on the V5 without documentry evidence detailing, CC, mileage and fuel type. This cam ein in the last few months. Now the MOT is computerised MOT testers are encouraged to report people for not keping the V5 up to date. They are also being asked to report any non standard modifications to VOSA for inspection. This means any unreported engine changes or modifications over and above your springs, shock and the odd spoiler should be reported to VOSA who would then inspect the car and decide whether or not it should be subject to an SVA test. The points system would be used to decide if the car should retain it's identity or issued with a Q plate. I know of a fair number of modified Dubs that very clearly should be runnning a Q plate and are likely to fall foul of new legislation as they tighten these things up. Oh and passing an SVA test is not as easy as an MOT. An aweful lot of modified dubs would need extensive further modification to pass the SVA and be allowed back on the road.

As for exhaust volume issues this is the oficial update sent to all MOT stations last week. Important bit highlighted at the end (section 7.1).

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp13 ... icture.jpg

Nick

All vehicles must have side repeaters if built after 1973 (I think it's 73 anyway), you should fail without but some MOT testers are a little slack/forgiving. As the new MOT rules ar eintroduced more and more of these little mods will be picked up on the vehicle failed.

For instance engine swaps now require a letter from the garage that installed it or engine manufacturer stating mileage, CC and fuel type. WIthout this the DVLA will not update your V5. Then when you MOT your car and the computer sees two diferent engine numbers the car will be failed at best, at worst VOSA will be called to inspect the car to decided if it needs an SVA test and a Q plate.

There was an update this week on exhausts. When revved for emmisions testing it should not be louder than standard ones in average condition. Fail if it is. Shouldn't really effect many folks as I assume, like me, most know their MOT tester well and he'll use his discretion. All this however is a sig that bit by bit moddified cars will be legislated off the road.

Nick

i didn't know that - about declaring the mileage etc of the new engine.

i've recently sent my v5 off to the dvla for the change of engine in my car (just stated the new engine number, fuel type and new cc) - hope they don't return it or anything gay like that.

i've got no problems whatsoever putting my car through an inspection or even an sva - i'm confident it would pass.

but what a complete ball ache just for swapping what is a very similar engine :?

What else did you send them? I may be wrong on the mileage so I'll double check but the info you sent should be on headed paper as a form of reciept for the engine (so from the business you bought the engine from). I have a horrible feeling they may well just send it all back to you. Easiest thing to do is if you know a friendly garage and get them to give you a reciept for all the work "they did" cough and slip em a few quid for being so kind.

Not sure about your car passing an SVA either TBH, it's a funny old test and doesn't just take into account how well the car is built. Corrado's for sure stand a reaonable chance as they aren't that old but MKI Golfs wouldn't pass. I'm pretty sure the Dashboard in a MKI Golf (and MKI scirroco) doesn't meet SVA requirements for a start. Stuff like aircooled beetles and Classic minis are almost impossible to get through an SVA due to their age and construction.

Nick

Engine change regs here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022054

"Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

a receipt for the replacement engine

written evidence from the manufacturer

an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle"

Nick

just checked out the dvla site now, cheers.

i'll just have to wait and see what arrives back in the post...

as for the sva - i'm familiarish with what goes on; as i went down and went through the whole proceedure to get a kit car on the road that i helped a friend of mine build.

Sound slike you got it all covered then :-)

Part of me is glad that they are trying to make sure cars are modded safely but I'm not very fond of the way they're going about it. The SVA for a start is designed to cater for kit cars. Making modified production cars go through this seems to be a little mental as Minis, Beetles and pretty much anything built before 1960 will never pass without hardcore mods to it's design. If they want to crack down there should be a new test for modified cars that is testing the car against engineering cmpetence and the car over all taking into account it's original form and function.

nick