Sign in to follow this  
RichG60

Speaker pod build

The 6x9's I'm using on my parcel shelf are proper subs, they operate between 30-500hz. I'm only using them as a fill in gap until I get my aliante 12 in a custom enclosure. Def don't use rear speakers unless you want some kind of surround sound environment for films.

^^^^^ agree totally

Better off spending the money you would waste doing the rear speaker build on the front end set up. The sound stage in a proper SQ car would be to imagine you have a full concert band in front of you, the sound would sound like its coming from the end of the bonnet and be wide, hence why having rear speakers is a bad idea due to moving the sound stage backwards, but thats to win competitions, in the real world though you would not like that to listen to, my stage is not as wide and closer to me, say end of the windscreen to half the bonnet, it makes it sound more intense just been right in front of me, but i listen to dance/electronic music, my request to source was to make it like im in Gatecrasher nightclub but without the lazers :D . they succeeded.

Sound is like choosing the colour of a car its all personal preference though so what works for me will not work for everybody else.

Source also do builds which are everyday useable and practical too, they can build it all completely stealth and i mean completely which would still be awesome.

nice job on the pods, i fancy doing something like that.

i remember one lad did it, spent ages making these lovely curvy pods that stuck out, when he put it back on the car the door wouldn't shut :lol: FAIL

what about rear passengers?

i think i might just try them and see what its like. i will run the front components off an amp and the rear 13cm components off the head unit

it should sound just right then and it will be a nice evening project :) other than the hours spent on the car at the moment :lol:

i brought some second hand supports for a tenner so if it doesnt work i can put the old ones back

Who cares about the rear passengers, its your car and you sit in the front so thats where you want the sound.

What a weekend!! Replaced the window slot seal on the drivers side with a new part (£50!) Water was running down the glass into the door!

Replaced the rubber aperture seal with a second hand part (bit that the door sits on, old one had torn in the centre) looks as good as new.

Went to replace the electric window mechanism with a new part I bought from Volkswagen (£240!) only to find that they had ordered the wrong side! I was fuming! I spoke to them yesterday and they said there is nothing they can do about it, my word against the parts guy that served me! I definitely know which side I asked for! Anyway had to temporarily fix the glass up for the time being until my second hand part arrives.

I vapour guarded my speakers with some special foam; spray glued the door and then fastened the foam.

I have fitted the pods to the doors and they look good apart from the fact that the beige vinyl I ordered from Audioscape is more cream than beige!

Got tweeters mounted on dash but have an issue where the DLS tweeter grille does not fit under the dash tweeter grilles. Might need to make a custom baffle up do it sits lower. At present I hole sawed the original mount and sat the tweeter in.

Will get pics up later.

So last thing I need to do is fire it up : D

this looks like it should be a really good build, looking forward to see the finished results.

Im doing a similar build in my passat- i have heavily modified the stock door speaker pods and added a 12mm plywood bafflethat is braced against the door frame, and layered up the door cards with GRP on the back to stiffen them up. Its all about separating the back wave of the driver from the front, otherwise the bass frequencies, which are not directional, diffract around the other side of the driver and cancel out the sound wave, as the front and back waves are 180 degrees out of phase. Thats the key to getting bass out of a smallish speaker.

I've put rear speakers in mine as in an estate the rear passengers are a long way away from the fronts! but have them faded down a lot so they dont interfere with teh front soundstage.

im confused, i always though of music being staged throughout the whole car. i obviously have got a lot to learn :(

Stereo recordings are mixed as if they are being played by a band on a stage in front of you, hence why you want to make the music sound as if the band are on the bonnet of the car :) Occasionally you can get "supra-aural" recordings which are recorded with two microphones inside a fake head, which reproduces the interactions of the sound wave with the shape of your head, but these are rare and should only be listened to with headphones, but thats getting off the subject a bit.

To accuratley reproduce a stereo soundstage, ideally you want all the sound coming from two point sources, with all the frequencies being produced by the same driver so there is no phase shift that you ALWAYS introduce into the system by adding crossovers.

But in reality this is not possible due to the mechanics of making a driver that can reproduce all audible frequencies at a decent level. The good news is that sound waves under about 120hz are non-directional (ie human ears cant hear what direction theyre coming from) which means a sub in the boot wont upset the soundstage.

For frequencies above this, you want the tweeters and mids to be as close together as possible, and ideally with the tweeters at ear level- the rado dash is pretty good for this as the tweeters can go in the top of the dash. this is why you dont want rear speakers, as the directional high frequencies will muddle the sound heard by your ears and introduce all sorts of cancellation effects caused by the waves from the front and rear speakers cancelling each other out.

TwoSourceSoundInterference.jpg

imagine the two speakers in that pic are front and rear speakers on one side of teh car. in that pic you can see that the bit in the middle is sufferening from wave cancellation effects which will destroy the stereo effect.

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread, had quite a few changes in my system. After i built the pods from the existing door pockets which fitted the dls nobeliums i decided to make up custom baffles mounted to the door skin.

I had a focal k2p setup i planned to run instead of the dls speakers, i ran the mids on the door skin and the mid bass was fantastic but had a change of heart and......

now have 7 inch cdt euro sport 06 drivers in the doors in audioscape pods which i Fitted at the weekend ha ha :)

Any way i have a new amp as well, JL HD 600/4.

I have the cdt's running active through 2 channels of the JL and the Focal tn52 tweeters through the other channel but running through there passive crossovers as they were too goregeous to not be used. I have a new source unit as well ha Alpine ida x200 + h100 for imprint and other crossover goodies + a mint 12 disc ainet cd changer. Have the dual mono powering the subs but will get a move on with the custom sub enclosure so i can get my aliante 12 in :D.

And b4 u say it i have the ice bug bad and have had for years lol. Have loads of spare speakers and amps i haven't used lol

Will get pics up buddy at weekend.