Sign in to follow this  
smoooth

ABS and traction control

i read on the FAQ's that the 2.0 16v and the VR6 both have ABS and traction control. is this a miss print or have they both got traction control???

how low can i go on 17's, looking at 80mm but how much scraping is going to happen, arch mods????

2.0 16v has ABS but not traction control. It's only the VR that has traction control (although you wouldn't know it most of the time! :? ) I sometimes get wheelspin in 3rd gear!

VR has traction control (although you wouldn't know it most of the time! :? ) I sometimes get wheelspin in 3rd gear!

It's not just me then!

Chris

Yea,

Mines crap too! I was going to put a post on to see if it was possible that it was turned off!!!

I KNOW THE vr6 had both abs and traction control not sure on the 16v though!!!!

Actually no. The early VR6s only had ABS with traction control as an option. There is a difference (i) the brain (ii) the ABS loom heads to the brain and the pump (iii) and the pump take off points - there are two instead of one. The Storms and later VR6s had traction control thrown in 'cos VW gave up as it tried to empty its shelves of silly stock.

Dont try to fit a VR6 system in a G60/16V version - there are huge balance problems you will have with the brain.

Dont try to fit a VR6 system in a G60/16V version - there are huge balance problems you will have with the brain.

I've got a late G60 with ABS and traction control!!!

I KNOW THE vr6 had both abs and traction control not sure on the 16v though!!!!

Actually no. The early VR6s only had ABS with traction control as an option. There is a difference (i) the brain (ii) the ABS loom heads to the brain and the pump (iii) and the pump take off points - there are two instead of one. The Storms and later VR6s had traction control thrown in 'cos VW gave up as it tried to empty its shelves of silly stock.

sorry but in all the magazine roadtests ive got of the Corrado VR6 from introduction in 1992 they all stated the Corrado VR6 as having "traction" control........to quote Autocar magazine's 29/04/92 roadtest of the Corrado VR6........

"How they get power to the ground".....

"There's a school of thought that says 190bhp and 181lb/ft torque and FWD don't work as a combination.Witness the dramatic antics that cars such as the Astra GSi and Alfa 33 16v go through trying to put considerably less power through their front wheels,and you begin to wonder whether the cynics have a point

VW's solution is a subtle form of TC that acts on the brakes rather than throttle.It doesn't resrict wheelspin completely;instead,it keeps the front wheels turning at the same speed.When the system senses that one front wheel is turning significantly faster than the other,it tickles the brake on the faster revolving wheel,bringing it back in line with the other wheel.Its the most subtle,successful form of TC we've come across yet on a FWD car."

Just idly reading the Bentley Manual (maybe this should have been a reply to Bally's "BORED" thread :-) ) and it states that a fault in the EDL/EDS system will cause the ABS brain to disable the TC function - BUT NOT LIGHT THE ABS LIGHT.

SO it might just be de-activated - unless VAG-COM shows no faults.

But even when it is working - you'd never know... :roll:

From what i know the traction control on vr's only works upto 20mph and thats it

Also yeah you can lower that much on 17"s but make sure you get the right ofset on the wheels

personally 50-60mm at the back aand 40-50mm at the front is more than enough for road use but for shows slam that thing lol