Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

1.8 16V 220 BHP

Hello People

I have been offered a 1.8 engine which produces 220BHP (proven from a rolling road) apperently its got 4 throttle bodies instead of the air inlet.

Anyone know anything about these? Any ideas of how much this thing would be?

Cheers

I'd get a lot more info on this car first. Throttle bodies can help a normally aspirated 16v develop both more power and torque but to achieve that sort of bhp it'll have to rev to (and be built to rev to) the best part of 8,000 rpm.

If you can see the rolling road plots, I'd be more interested in the power at the wheels and the torque plot than a calculated at the crank figure. But you can't take any rolling road printouts as gospel.

As Dave says... Look at the Torques curve too... if it's low to 5000 then rises sharply, will be no good as a road engine, will need the Cr@p revved out of it to get going....

Think it's a "Race-Spec" if it truely does put out 220... and that means massivily lumpy cams, power all at top end etc, which will be a right PITA on a road car...