Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

Reversing Lights keep blowing fuse

Not sure if this is engine bay or exterior?, but my reversing lights keep blowing the fuse, sometimes when engaging reverse, sometimes simply by turning the ignition on,

I have checked the connections on the top of the gear box, and swapped the load relief relay (number 4), i have checked and cleaned all the earths and bulb holders, all are good condition. what should i check next?

There is sometimes a short pause between turning the ignition and the engine firing up which may indicate a tired ignition switch, could this be related?

Might be chafed wiring in the boot lid or on the way to the switch, or it could be somethign completely different if its blowing when the ignition is turned on, there might be several other items running off the same fuse. What number is it?

Haven't a clue! :lol:

They changed the fuses about a bit over the years. I'd try unplugging it and seeing what doesn't work. Got a funny feeling the glovebox light might come off that, or one near it.

yeah the glove box light is'nt working, i'll check that isn't corroded etc tomorrow, i wouldn't expect it to be tho. i'll up date this thread if any new systoms crop up, but i'm driving 300miles in it tomorrow so i don't want to dismantle too much today in case something serious develops before i get home!

Let me know if you can think of anyway else to check,

Many Thanks, :salute:

I had issues with the contacts touching when I tried to take the glove box out once, which also buggered up my immobiliser and stopped the car starting, I guess this isn't an issue for you?

On manual cars fuse 14 covers the reversing lights, electric mirrors (movement) and heated washer jets + heated seats and cruise if fitted.

I would look at the wiring to the reverse light switch first on the gearbox, see if thats rubbing then take both bulbs out to inspect.

Thats interesting, my passenger mirror stopped moving about a month ago, and as it's the same fuse i bet a wire has broken/shorting out, or a connentor is corroded. i'll investigate further at the weekend and update when i have found the problem. thanks for your help.

In conclusion, i have investigated further and i found that my passenger mirror had stopped working because one of the wires had worn through and shorted out where the wires pass through the door hinge, and therefore was blowing the fuse (No 14) that also controls the reversing lights.

To fix the problem, i stripped the loom out of the passenger door and tidied it up and re-wrapped it with new loom tape, and put grommets on the bare bulkhead that had caused the problem originally.

Many thanks to those that took the time to reply, it turned into a nice repair- visible results, the opportunity to tidy and improve old bits, and most importantly completely free!! :clap:

The fuse kept blowing on mine and after many attempts to cure it i put some new bulbs in and havnt had a problem since :D