Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Painted 288 clearance with painted 15"s

Wotcher,

I've just got me 288s powdercoated and am thinking of getting the wheels done as well. Now from what I can remember seeing from those that have 288s is that the clearance between the calliper and the wheel isn't much at all...could someone post a pic (as an attachment is poss, I'm at work!) so I can see how much space I have? And also any opinions on whether you think it will fit or not?

Thanks muchly,

'dude.

its very close, especially when you have the wheel weights stuck on inside of rim.

i painted all mine up, and after taking wheels off the other week i noticed the front caliper has a line about 5mm wide where all the paint has rubbed off and you can see the metal of the caliper. I've never heard anything rubbing so must be very very slight.

a pic, although its hard to see

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :scratch:

not sure that the speedies will fit now....

Are solitudes 15 or 16?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :scratch:

not sure that the speedies will fit now....

Are solitudes 15 or 16?

15's mate

curse, well there goes that plan... :) may be posting up asking for some cheapo 16s soon then!

Jim, on mine with weights on the inside of the rim its a bit tight and they were "clicking" against the calipers for a while, but when i looked i think it was because the weights weren't right up to the inside edge. I think they'd be fine if they were all the way in - mine were a cm or so away from the spokes and i think that can make all the difference.. I'd still go for it if i were you!

What happened to your other dark wheels too?

Its like this - i have no MOT and it will not pass on the standard brakes or tyres I have on now as both are worn after Snetterton and various hoonings about.

I have all the parts for the 288s so they'll go on and I'll be whacking on the Speedlines for a bit as I have tyres for these as well. One of the TH Monos is in need of a refurb, so I'm sending it off and will then put the Monos back on when the refurb is done. Then I was planning on getting the Speedies sprayed....not sure what to do now.... :shrug: basically I don't want to have either of them rubbing or it'll all be a tremendous waste of cash. I work in banking and am not sure about my future so I can't spend the money on my car that I'd like just in case. It may be that I have to sell the monos and get some 16s instead.

Its all a bit poop really. :D

Ill take some pics of mine when i get it back saturday. I had my solitudes refurbed a while back and there is no rubbing atall from the calipers.

I guess you could always grind the caliper down slightly if need be, but you wouldn't really want to after the powder coat :)

I'm refurbing some 288's at the moment and they'll be going under 17's but I will want to use the speedlines at some point so I'll probably trial fit them and grind the caliper down or even have them milled properly if I have to before painting them.

I guess you could always grind the caliper down slightly if need be, but you wouldn't really want to after the powder coat :)

yeah, i had a "d'oh" moment earlier. wish i'd thought of this before i sent them off. :ignore:

its about 50-50 in responses at the moment....i'm going to risk it think, but i will be keeping a careful eye out...will let you guys know of the progress.

I doubt the powdercoating process will be that thick. I dont see a probelm.

thats what I was getting at.....