Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Some advice please! Fix or replace?

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I've just had the worst corrado related night ever! Drove to Crawley after work, all the while noticing a slight whine coming from the engine bay. Couldn't do much as I was on the M23, so I gently eased it into town. Upon turning off to park up the whine suddenly got ever so loud as i pulled off from some lights, cue a dodgy smell coming from the engine bay, paired with smoke (highly embarassing!). Upon inspection, I'd noticed that this smoke was pouring out of the cambelt casing. After whipping it off to one side, I could see the cambelt turning but whining and smoking whilst doing so. My thoughts are cambelt tensioner, but I couldn't be too sure as it was so dark..could anyone confirm this for me?

Being an idiot and not getting AA/RAC, I had to pester my friends dad to come and tow me from Crawley back to Croydon :|. It was dark, freezing, foggy as hell and $hit scary! I was also being towed by a Vauxhall white van, so I could see feck all in front of me! My tow virginity was reaped in the darkest manner possible.

If this doesn't sound like a cambelt tensioner (searches seem to agree with me so far), could anyone suggest what else it could be? And is it easy to fix back to its glorious, original state?

I'm asking because I have another engine sitting in my garage, which was due to be installed in april when the insurance/tax/mot runs out. I'm just thinking weather or not its worth fixing my current 16v, or to just cut my losses and get the new block in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end :(

Cheers,

Nick

PS:- To anyone who doesn't have breakdown cover - get it! don't be a 'tard like me

Is there any tension in the belt and where was it rubbing. The tensioner is easy to change. Are you sure it wasnt just rubbing on the plastic guard?

they can sieze, hopefully you've been lucky and not bent any valves if the belt has just slipped on the siezed tensioner and not actually jumped any teeth on the pulleys, need to have a look at the timing marks on the pulleys.

doesnt sound good, i cant think of anything else but the tensioner.Also try and have a look down near the bottom end of the belt with a light to see if anything has dropped down there, Somebody on edition 38 installed a 20vt in his car and the belt snapped - apon closer inspection there was a bolt lodged down at the bottom of the cambelt casing and it caught the belt and eventually wore through it.

I too also know what its like to be towed by a van - not a nice experience!

also where abouts in croydon are you? im a croydon lad myself

Thanks for the the thoughts - tensioner seems to be the likely suspect. I've been rather busy to have a proper nose today, but will endeavour to do so tomorrow.

I've decided to use this as an excuse to get on with the engine swap. Obviously I'd like to fix the current engine beforehand, but without spending too much - I would like to sell it on to make back a little bit of spare cash. Would it be simple enough to change the tensioner myself?

For the meantime, i have swapped my insurance over to a spare car my stepdad owns. He seems to have an odd infatuation with mk3/4 golf cabs and owns 3 of them :cuckoo: (Still, atleast they are dubs!). I've temporarily got access to a 2.0 8v colour concept edition one. It's quite nice actually, the black heated leather makes me wish my C had it! (See pic attached - It's the dark one at the front)

Waynos - I'm right by tuningwerkes! I know they should be my first port of call, but I always seem to bother Reuben so i'm trying to make it less of an occurance (Although I have no problem whatsoever with pestering the forum :D). You don't happen to be nr Purley Way Halfords? Saw a Red Corrado parked dead on a driveway for ages and even asked some lady if it was for sale :lol:

Edited to say to Jim: I was told the belt had been changed at 70k (113k now), but only the sellers words to go by, therefore no idea if the tensioner was done :(

Make sure you also check that the bottom (crankshaft) pulley hasn't come loose.

Some people/mechanics can be guilty of not replacing the pulley bolt with a new one (or DX type one).

Tensioner isnt to hard of a job to be honest,if your not replacing the belt make sure it stays on its teeth so the timing isnt knocked out. I dont live near halfords although i know of the car your talking about! im up near lombard roundabout. Give us a shout if you need some help. What engine are you planning to swap in? Im thinking 20vt for mine at some point

Tensioner isnt to hard of a job to be honest,if your not replacing the belt make sure it stays on its teeth so the timing isnt knocked out. I dont live near halfords although i know of the car your talking about! im up near lombard roundabout. Give us a shout if you need some help. What engine are you planning to swap in? Im thinking 20vt for mine at some point

Cheers for the advice, i'll make sure not to move the belt! Just put the C in the garage - no loose nuts or bolts below the cam casing. Cheers for the offer, I might actually have to take you up on it if I get stuck! It's a KR to 9a swap, but the 9a has some extra goodies ;). The engines been sitting in my garage for about 6 months though, so i'm not really sure if there's anything i'd need to do to it before putting it in. I was just thinking of a good flush ;/. 20VT would be the dream, if only I hadn't bought a flat! I'm now on a terrible budget -_- (theres always next time!)