Sign in to follow this  
greasegriff

My quest for the perfect Storm! Now supercharged..

Hello to all. I've been a member for a few months now and have had my C for about the same time but I thought I'd start up a thread, partly because I'm going to need quite a bit of advice on various things and partly for me to keep a log of what I'm doing and when!

OK, a bit about the car. She's a 1995 Corrado VR6 Storm in Classic Green (first question...is this the same/similar as Dragon Green?!) with 89k on the clock. When I bought it, it was completely standard except for a complete closure alarm, tracker and the head unit. Everything works and the only real glitch so far is the ABS light occasionally coming on and not going out...new sensor the most likely thing? As far as I can tell the ABS is still working but haven't had the need to find out really.

As she's my only car (I also have a bike for the summer months and when the C's in the garage!), having her off the road is a pain and keeping her in good nick is the priority. I've been analysing the pages on the forum and have now got a list of things to do to her. Initially I was torn between keeping things standard or tweaking a few bits here and there, but this place is addictive and I now have the following list!

1. Lowered on coilovers (thinking KW but open to suggestions)

2. New exhaust (again, would love some advice on this in the future)

3. Re-map

4. Induction kit (thinking BMC CDA)

5. 288/280 brake upgrade

6. Clear side repeaters

7. De-wiper the rear

8. Uprated headlight loom

9. 16" alloys

10. Moonroof

11. Red brake calipers

12.Red rear lights

13. DDI dials

14. A trip to Stealth for some extras! Quite like the sound of a turbo!

15. Sort out a couple of small patches of rust on the drivers side door and rear sill

Obviously, this is going to bleed me dry and take some time but I'm hoping to keep a log on here and get a fair bit of advice too. My first couple of months has been spent doing not a lot to her but I'd like to get things moving now and get cracking!

On that note, today has been spent :

-Changing the side repeaters to clear

-De-wipering the back

-Putting in nice new Phillips Extreme headlights (got my headlight loom on order from KUR2Y!)

I'm going to get some photos up as soon as the weather gives us a break but in the meantime I'd love comments off people regarding my wishlist! Is there anything I've missed which people think are must-haves? What's the consensus on coilovers and exhausts? I don't want to sound like a boy-racer but I do want to grin when I put my foot down!

Anyway, I've got my name down for a get-together in South Wales for the karting so I hope to meet some of you there and get some more ideas.

well researched list you've got there! all of it is definitely worth doing although moonroof doesn't look quite original enough for my taste.

without stating the obvious, dont spend £350 on a remap before you know what you want from the engine. turbo is popular but will cost you the best part of £4k unless you do a lot of it yourself. supercharger fitted by a garage and mapped would be about £2.5k. cams plus map would be £500-600. (all assuming brand new parts).

KW coils and Magnex exhausts are the most popular middle to high cost options but plenty of other good suspension for a bit more or a bit less (Weitec/Koni/H&R) and you can always get a custom exhaust for not much more than a branded one.

aside from all that it depends how shiny you want everything, theres a lot of bits that begin to show their age which you can just replace for looks rather than the fact that they dont work anymore!

good luck!

And a few more...I got itchy fingers and took the rear wiper off and changed the side repeaters before getting my standard photos!

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Any comments / advice on the above is more than welcome.

I've seen how critical people can be too - I have new number plates on order and this time I will put them on straight!

Regarding engine work, new cams and re-map sounds like a good (and relatively cheap!) please to start. My long term aim would be to turbo it but that'll have to wait until I've got another set of wheels to rely on!

Gotta say too, I've got a lot of respect for you guys putting 13+ years into your cars. That really does show commitment to the cause...I was just starting third year in Comp school when you guys began! Hopefully mine will still be going in 13 more years...at least it'll be tax exempt by then! :clap:

Don't say that! That was the fight I was having with myself! Do I get it mint and keep it standard or do I tinker?! In the end I figured that cars are there to be enjoyed and so I'd tinker. I may well regret this financially but can you put a price on the grin-factor?!

Very tidy looking Storm, and looks like it's got a good home too. Only thing I can see that you have missed off the list is Lupo wipers, a must have with the weather in the UK :wink:

Very tidy looking Storm, and looks like it's got a good home too. Only thing I can see that you have missed off the list is Lupo wipers, a must have with the weather in the UK :wink:

I was wondering about that. I know I said it was standard but I'm not sure if the wipers may have been done already?? I've seen lots of complaints about how crap the wipers should be but I've got to be honest and say mine seem OK. Even at 70mph + 30 they're OK!! On that note mind, I've just started using Rain-X after seeing someone suggesting it on here...brilliant stuff. Irrelevant how bad your wipers are with that stuff! Drove to work this morning in pouring rain with my wipers on intermittent and that was just in case a copper was watching! Great stuff and highly recommend it.

Took my rear wiper off mind Saturday so can't see much behind me! Other mod last week-end was to add Phillips Extreme bulbs (got them off eBay for £20) and again, great purchase. Uprating the headlight loom soon but even the bulb upgrade has improved things dramatically. :shock:

Going by the pictures you have up, they look like standard wipers. Do a search of the lupo wiper threads and theres bound to be a pic of them so you can confirm. Much more tidy looking than the standard wipers too, in my opinion.

Right, it's been a while since I posted last and a few jobs have been done in that time.

Had her lowered on KW V1's to as low as the local speed bumps will allow (maybe a bit too low on the back?). Also got a set of RX splitties fitted. Combined, these mods have transformed the way she drives. It used to be quite a soft, wallowy ride but now it's nice and firm - not too hard but I'd say about spot on. Cornering has improved leaps and bounds whilst it doesn't crash over those damn pot holes!

Also got a BMC CDA under the bonnet and added some 288 front brakes to make her sound lovely and stop quickly!

Next on the list is to fit the Schimmel 263 cams I've got, a new exhaust (not sure which yet - Magnex?) and then a re-map to tie it all together. I also want to get 280's on the back and get the calipers painted red all round :D . Bit of a novice with that sort of thing - do they have to be removed to paint them or can it be done with them on the car? Might get the rear numberplate surround painted to match the car too.

Even got asked if I wanted to sell her in Asda's carpark today! Nver got asked that in my Beemer!

Anyway, have a look at the piccies and see what you think. Any suggestions / comments welcomed.

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4171_2-1.jpg

IMG_4174_2.jpg

that is lovely indeed.

Am really glad i got a classic green rado when i see how good they can look

Schrick manifold would be a good purchase for quite a bit more driveability and torque from the engine .... if you're not that interested in investing in the idea of forced induction.

Thats looking the nuts mate. Im yet to get mine lowered but comparing your original photos with the solitudes, and now with the BBS shows how stupid the car looks on its original suspension and has convinced me to get it done.

You can paint the calipers with them still on the car but will have to brush apply it. Better to remove them and spray them id say. Have you considered gold calipers? Look good on a green car me thinks, every one goes red.

Thanks for the comments guys. Really pleased with her at the moment. When I get the time to detail properly she comes up even nicer but it is time consuming!

Thats looking the nuts mate. Im yet to get mine lowered but comparing your original photos with the solitudes, and now with the BBS shows how stupid the car looks on its original suspension and has convinced me to get it done.

You can paint the calipers with them still on the car but will have to brush apply it. Better to remove them and spray them id say. Have you considered gold calipers? Look good on a green car me thinks, every one goes red.

I was wondering about going gold actually. Was thinking of getting black & gold centre-caps for the RX's and gold calipers would look good I admit. I am really drawn to red though - I know lots of people do it but it does look class!

Schrick manifold would be a good purchase for quite a bit more driveability and torque from the engine .... if you're not that interested in investing in the idea of forced induction.

Haven't had that idea. Have been doing a bit of research and can see that it doesn't give huge BHP gains but lots of torque. To be honest, that's what I'm after - not too worried about what the numbers or the graphs look like as long as it pulls like a train when I want it to! What am I looking at for a Schrick manifold then?

I'm supposed to be saving for a wedding in Spetember too! :brickwall:

thats looking well nice 8)

as for exhaust i would suggest getting a Jetex one, its a very very good fit and its not at all boomy unlike the magnex which can be to loud for some people.

keep up the good work.

That looks really terrific 8) You've made a lot of progress.

You may find the suspension will settle a bit over time - I've had mine on for about a year now and I think its about 1 cm lower.

Comimg to national day?

thats looking well nice 8)

as for exhaust i would suggest getting a Jetex one, its a very very good fit and its not at all boomy unlike the magnex which can be to loud for some people.

keep up the good work.

Jetex and Magnex are similar costs too aren't they? Was wondering about a Supersprint but seems like a lot of money for not much difference.

That looks really terrific 8) You've made a lot of progress.

You may find the suspension will settle a bit over time - I've had mine on for about a year now and I think its about 1 cm lower.

Comimg to national day?

Thanks Vornwend. As I've said in your thread, a lot of inspiration has come from your wheels! Doing the work is the easy bit really, getting the ideas is the tricky part.

What's National Day and when/where?

What's National Day and when/where?

RAF Cosford next Saturday. Organised by the CCGB (need to be a member but you can pay on the day I think)- details on here and their website.

http://secure.bluehost.com/~corradoc/

Hopefully be 40 to 50 Corrados in attendance. Entrance is free but ideas generated might cost ya :)

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

totally amazing the transformation from standard to lowered and RX2's,looks good,I had mine on RX2's as well,but its now wearing speedlines while I wait for it to go in for a respray and then putting my gold centred(genuine) LM's on

oh btw,your Corrado won't ever qualify for free road tax under the current legislation,the 25 year tax exemption was stopped from being rolling in 1997/8,so cars only up to 1972/73 are tax exempt