Sign in to follow this  
blackthorn

what cams? and what bhp?

stick with the VW sticks

unless your engine is build to rev well past the standard rev limit, all you'll do is shift the power band up the rev range leaving the bottom end wanting, I'd spend the money elsewhere, certainly wait until you've done everything else, like flow the head.

My 2p.

valver is not cheap to get more power from but I'd suggest to do these in this order:

rebuild bottom end (so it is known to be in good condition to take more power)

OR

drop in a 2L bottom end, including head if known to be good (9A from Passat or 2L Corrado, 6A from Audi 80/coupe or ABF/ACE from mk3 golf 16v/late audi) - If ABF then keep ABF cams otherwise use KR inlet cam

(2L is worth about 10% gain in power and torque)

then,

rebuild head and port/polish/gasflow including new hydraulic tappets

port and internally polish inlet and exhaust manifolds (10-20% gain)

set up fuelling and ignition on rolling road IRO 100 quid (could be the best bang for the buck on any valver TBH) 10% gain

experiment with higher lift cams at great expense for little in point to point speed :lol: 10% gain - all at the top end

don't bother with a 50mm inlet unless you've done all of the above

an aftermarket exhaust and air filter(K&N/Jetex type panel) won't do any harm, but equally won't make much difference

turbo at huge expense :) or give up and fit a 1.8T :lol:

I'm sure you could find that out pretty easily from Google

the golf was 139bhp

Passat and Corrado 136bhp

no particular reason for the 3hp difference, the engines are identical in every way, the late golfs even have the same sized inlet manifold

dude,

i google'd it turst me and had no luck what so ever so i thought i would ask on here as like i said had no luck!

thanks though guys top job :D

post resurector :D

andy, all top notch advice above

also, if you want a mild gain on a kr then the kr exhaust cam can be used as an inlet, iirc has slightly better duration and defo improved my mid range torque on my last valver. basically you get a spare kr exhaust cam, chop the end that goes to the dizzy, and whack it in... ok that's simplified a bit, i have a guide which i can send by email if you pm me

you can then flip your old kr inlet onto someone with a 2l - so cost neutral