Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

can a VR6 Storm be worth £5000?

I think the Storm thing comes from people who are not entirely clued up on the differences from a "standard" VR.

They automatically think it has to be much better than a standard VR hece why its perceived as worth more.

I think the Storm thing comes from people who are not entirely clued up on the differences from a "standard" VR.

They automatically think it has to be much better than a standard VR hece why its perceived as worth more.

nail/head.

not all owners, but those that dont know the exact difference really have a big chip on their shoulder about how much more superior they think they are cos it's a Storm.

Its a Mk3 Corrado innit? Got to be worth more. :brickwall: :grin:

And don't forget that a Storm is faster cos its a Storm. :lol:

Its probably actually a 10th slower due to the leather! :rofl:

And don't forget, the weight of that extra badge means the storm isn't as fuel efficient as a mk2 Corrado. :grin:

I always thought the Connolly hide was finer, ergo lighter, therefore faster?

[Like the meerkat (dotcom)! :lol: ]

I have a chance to buy a Storm for £4K, a mystic blue with pristine bodywork and has 125K on the clock. It has full VWSH but no history of any major renewal of worn out parts. I have not viewed the car but the owner claims that there are no issues with the timing chains/tensioners, but neither is there any history of them being changed.

So what are the major parts that have a history of breaking down or should have been replaced by the time a VR6 reaches this mileage?

I have a chance to buy a Storm for £4K, a mystic blue with pristine bodywork and has 125K on the clock. It has full VWSH but no history of any major renewal of worn out parts. I have not viewed the car but the owner claims that there are no issues with the timing chains/tensioners, but neither is there any history of them being changed.

So what are the major parts that have a history of breaking down or should have been replaced by the time a VR6 reaches this mileage?

Usual clutch maybe on its way out (see if it slips under hard acceleration). If thats being changed then its a good time to change the timing chains. If you hear a rattle from the gearbox end of the engine then the timing tensioner may have worn down to the rivits. It may go on for a loooong tiome but could break up at any time so think about changing it.

At 125k and this age then rear beam bushes and front wishbone bushes will be well past it, engine mounts etc - if you can rock the engine by hand it will need at least a front mount. Listen for a clunk on/off power that may be the offside inner cv (they dry out and wear due to proximity of exhaust at this mileage).

Broken sunroofs and heater controls are common. Other than that its usual used car stuff!

Bear in mind the Storm is just a late model with leather. Most people prefer the recaro interior which also comes in leather. Don't pay too much!