Sign in to follow this  
AlgarveVR6

European TUV Codes

Hi

I am at a complete loss here. I have a 1992 2.0lt 16v C that does not have a E code? (Dunno what else to call it) It is a little sticker on the panel between wipers and engine bay. It is E with a number in a circle.

Somebody told me it is a TUV code. I have seen them all over the glass, but not on the body

My old VR6 had one sticker but I cannot remember the code after the circle only that the code in the circle was E15

Does this make any sense to anyone.

Apparently you cannot import a car into Spain without one, and the guy wanting to buy me car won't buy it without it

HELP PLEASE

Dic

The E-codes have not been set by the German TÜV. The E-codes are codes for items that have been certified safe in all EU-countries, hence no further documentation is necessary (although some manufacturers will provide additional docs detailing the scope of tests carried out, or just like with Supersprint kit, that the products have been certified as safe for use on cars within any EU country).

Spain belonging to the EU shoudl acknowledge the E-codes. Some countries, like Germany, who have more strict regulations than what the EU stipulate, may, however, require additional safety documents and test results. This is what, for example, the TÜV demand for certain items in Germany, necessitating the manufacturer to carry out further safety tests, document them and hand them over to the customer in shape of what´s called a ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis).

For certian products there is no ABE and in that case the TÜV demand an individual test on your own car (EXPENSIVE!!!!!). You´re effectively paying for the ABE yourself, which the manufacturer will be only to happy to have you do, of course, as once done, anyone else with the same item on the same spec car will then be able to use that ABE.

Oops, gone on a bit too long :lol:

Tempest

Wow, I am a little more enlightened.

This code of the E with a number in a circle. What is the technical name for it.

If my car had one which I think has probably been washed off, where could I get a replacement sticker, or find out if one was ever issued.

You seem to be a mine of info.

Cheers

Dic

Well, the car as such wouldn´t get an E-code as such. It´s only individual parts (depending on which part), that get have to display the E-code, eg. your headlights, highbeams, indicators, rear light clusters all have an E-number on them. (if not they´re aftermarket (eg. FK red/white rear light clusters, whereas those by In.Pro do have an E-number, and hence are legal in the EU, FK´s are not, strictly speaking).

Tempest

OK thats clear

So what is the little sticker on the bulkhead for, and why do the Spanish authorities want an E code for the whole car.

Is this little sticker what they want ?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is a minefield

Cheers

Dic