Sign in to follow this  
jack

Car wont start - Now running

Hi, The battery in my car was flat so I removed it and put it on charge. I have put it back in the car but now it wont start. it is trying to turn but just wont fire up. could the immobiliser have stuck on? If so how do I get past it to start my car. Was meant to be going for an MOT in the mornning but cant see that happening. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Jack, first things to check, Is there a spark? Is there petrol coming through? What model is it?

Hi Kip, there is a spark, its a VR. I used a jump pack on it last week and it fired up first time but wouldnt start the next day so thought a battery charger wouuld be better

i had a exactly same problem intermittently - new spark plugs helped for a bit but since i got one of those trickle charger solar panel things for the dashboard which i plug in even if just leaving for short time starts first time every time - not much help to you now i know

Take off the fuel line on the left of the engine as you look at it (the supply has a little arrow on it going towards the engine) and get a pot for the petrol to go into and just make sure it's pumping petrol.

Wee update. We checked the fuel line today and it wasnt pumping fuel. Found out that the fuel pump wasnt power up when the ignition was on. Got it powering and pumping fuel however the car still didnt start. The starter motor is working fine. Checked the power going in to the immobiliser and out and its fine. Starting to think there may be something wrong with the ECU as there didnt seem to be any power coming from it. All signals to and from the fuse box seem fine. Dont know if there might be another immobiliser somewhere that we dont know about :shrug:

So it's now pumping fuel but it's still not starting? You have a spark, so I don't think it's an immobilizer tbh, the factory one only cuts in after the car has started so it runs for a second first.

Ok we had a fault reader plugged in to the car today and it didnt pick up a signal from the ECU. So my question is are all VR6 Corrado ECU's the same or will I need to get a new one and have it programmed to the engine. Sorry im not the most knowledgable when it comes to these things :cuckoo:

The VR's have an immobilizer chip in the key which deactivates the immobilizer in the ECU, I'm not sure about the other models,just so happens I have a VR ECU with 2 key chips if you need one, I no longer have any use for it as I'm changing engines/ecu. It's a 94VR storm

Cheers Kip, how much do you want for the ECU. I take it you mean the chip is built in to the ignition key

If you pick up an earlier VR ecu (I think the codes end "AG") then there's no immobiliser to worry about.

Might be inclined to be 100% sure that the ECU is getting 12V supply before you go this route though.

Cheers Kip, how much do you want for the ECU. I take it you mean the chip is built in to the ignition key

Yes the chips are in the ignition key, pop open the key and they are inside it. £60 for the ECU and key chips mate,

If you pick up an earlier VR ecu (I think the codes end "AG") then there's no immobiliser to worry about.

Might be inclined to be 100% sure that the ECU is getting 12V supply before you go this route though.

Oh yeah that's a good point about the 12V supply, I thought the earlier ECU's were for the non coilpack type though :scratch:

Oh yeah that's a good point about the 12V supply, I thought the earlier ECU's were for the non coilpack type though :scratch:

True, some are, but there's been about 5 ECU models and not all coilpack-equipped ECUs have imobilisers.

There you are then chap, check your 12v supply, if it is ok and you need an ECU then you can either retain the immobiliser (for which I can help you out if you like) or you can ditch the immobiliser security and get an earlier coilpack ECU from somewhere else, I'm sure there are others on here who could help you out with that. :thumb right:

Either way hope you get it sorted.

Hi mate had a look at the ECU, think I need to get an earlier ECU as I dont have the chip reader and this would mean having to wire one in and then change the plug to include the additional wire. Thanks very much for your advice Kip, really appreciated

Well I got a ECU from StueyB (Cheers) and it arrived yesterday. Was about to phone the mechanic to let him know i had received it when he phoned me, with my car running in the back ground :D :partytime . He managed to source a replacement chip for the old ECU and its now running sweet. just need to get in booked in for ann MOT and service this week and then take it for a good long run