Sign in to follow this  
kuksool

what to buy??????

right im at a cross roads ive got £4k to spend and im in need of scratching my corrado itch :D

I need reliability as it will be an everyday driver bout 50mile round trip a day

Ive been considering a vr6 or a mint g60 raddo in your opinions which will be the better option in mind that you guys own these cars!!!????

cheers

Scott

Very sensitive subject on which one to go for! You'll have alot of people tell you that one of the models is better than the other one... There both good but for different reason, ive had both variants of them and would say that i prefer the G60 that i have over the VR6 i did have- the VR6 was more exspensive to run

there were always nigggly little problems with things like the idle etc and the head gasket went on me as well + had to change the coil pack ignition module because they cracked. In gear acceleration is no where near as good as the G60 (chipped and pulleyd) - you have to cane the nuts of the VR6 as the engine is quite lazy but having said that it is very good once youve wound it up. I did like the silky smooth VR6 power dilivery and it makes a lovely noise but just thought it was to much hassle and to much cog stirring. The G60 pulls like a train from about 2k so never really need to change down unless your really going for it :twisted: but first and second gear ratios are cr*p and you cant hit 60 in second which is very annoying, handling wise the G60 is slightly better as is lighter and not as front end heavy- people will tell you that because the VR6 is heavier on the nose the camber and suspension settings were adjusted accordingly which is true but its still not as good round the twisty's i know as ive had both 8) .

There both great motors mate - i would say go and test drive both and see which one you prefer. Personally id buy a well looked after G60 as i dont regret at all changing it from my old VR6 + it saved me money and i prefer it! But go check them both out first!

Just my 2p

All i say is everyone has the own opinion on which model

Ill just say to you go out test drive some and go from there

Ull know which one to get just be carefull and do all the checks onthe car

and good luck

Yeah i thought this might get some varied opinions but it will help me as its the owners opinions!

Well ive downloaded the buying guide available on here and its good but pretty basic stuff that you would check on most cars really does any body have any in depth stuff to look out for on either of these models

thanks

scott

Scott, IMO go & look at a few, drive them all & decide on the one you like the most, end of the day its you who's going to drive it etc..

My 2p...

Just try as many different ones as you can :D I had nothing but probs from my G60, but loved it all the same (as well as hating it!).

Go for as new a car as poss too, so fewer things will need replacing. Personally I'd go for a VR.

What sort of "50 mile trip" are you talking about? If it is mainly in traffic then the G60 is better. I have run a 91 G60 and a Mk3 Golf VR6. The VR6 sounded great but in all honesty the G60 was a better engine day to day. VR6 is bad for fuel especially in stop/start driving. I imagine the G60 is slightly better in the handling department plus if you look after the oily bits regularly it is just as reliable as any other Corrado.

The VR6 replaced the G60 so it will be harder to find a mint straight low mileage G60.

I am considering selling my VR6 92k-reg aqua Blue 90K fully docuemented VAG history new shocks and brakes soon, would take 4300 for an easy sale.

The reason for sale is to buy an old g60, to respray and recondition throughout.

my 50 mile trip a day is mainly on the carriage way bout 40 out of the 50 miles!!!!

vr6er: sounds a good buy but my budget is 4k and thats at a push to be honest so 4300 is a bit to far!!!!

Scott

Try one of each variant and come to your own conclusions is my advice. Having driven a G60 and owning a VR, I prefer the VR overall, warts and all.

I don't know why people keep saying the VR's handling is affected by it's front end weight, it isn't at all. I can drive a VR just as hard as a G60 around bends and they handle the same, in fact I'll even stick my neck out and say the VR has a slight edge due to the plus running gear (wider track, more agressive camber etc).

Two of the best handling FWD cars of all time are the VR6 and Integra type R. Why? Because they both have the ideal FWD 65/35 weight bias.

K

I'd have a VR6....

me too 8)

Best bet, as mentioned above, is to try both, and see which you prefere, and suits your driving style though mate :)

Also, when you test one of each, you might get a pig of a G60, and a lovely running VR6, which obviously wouldn't be a fair comparison, so try a few, and buy the one your happiest with.

[cough] VR6 [/cough]

Thera

I went for the VR6 cos I like the big engine power delivery.

The G60 would be a great car, but make sure the charger is in top order or has been rebuilt professionally.

Either way, if the car has been looked after you should have no probs, but I VR6 may [i stress may] hold its value better cos its seen as the one to have.

Good luck!

my 50 mile trip a day is mainly on the carriage way bout 40 out of the 50 miles!!!!

vr6er: sounds a good buy but my budget is 4k and thats at a push to be honest so 4300 is a bit to far!!!!

Scott

No worries, until I find my project there's no hurry.

my opinion I had a G60 in 94 low milage nice car I now have a mint VR full history the works and I personally prefer the VR plus In my opinion it will hold its value as has been said earlier the Vr is seen as the one to have

And whats wrong with a lovely 2.0l 16v???? why a vr6 or a g60?

Nothing at all. It's just a preference thing.

Why VR6? Smooth power delivery and a few more toys, "the one to have" and all that.

Why G60? Again, smooth power delivery, very very punchy midrange and wicked street cred.

Stick a hybrid Garrett T28 on that valver and you can wave goodbye to both :lol:

K

Or a great G60 and a pig of a VR6 :lol:

K

bah, like that would ever happen ;)