Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Whats involved buying a car from Isle of Man

Gents as per title, can anyone tell me exactly whats involved as you all may know there is a VR on the for sale thread that im interested in but a moajor sticking point is that its in the Isle of Man

and the fact they dont have MOT's

So basically want to know whats what???

Cheers in Advance Andy

Its fairly simple I think dude, just buy it and when you get it over here and it's been registered in your name you can tax and MOT it.

Walesy so when registering mate,

literally ring up the DVLA and they will issue a new log book or?

i was worried a SVA test might be needed etc,

can I drive it england for a while without registering?

wasnt there an issue with VAT with the last one or was that going from Jersey to the IOM? cant remember which way round it was?!

Surely you only pay VAT on new items?

I don't see why you'd bother buying a new car from the IOM ;)

It's fairly straightforward - Walesy will know better than me as I know he's looked into it. I could tell you about bringing a car into the IOM though :)

MOT's not really an issue - ok we don't have one but I'm sure there's far shoddier cars that can pass an MOT that would fail a buyer's inspection.

VAT's not an issue either - that's only going to be new or commercial vehicals AFAIK.

''why buy from IOM''

Well I was very close to going over last year for a mint MK3 Golf GTi 16v. It ticked every single box.

Gleaming red w/tidy black trim (not faded), sunroof, RS4 Alloys, neat twin back box, the lot.

And I was coming from Ireland :lol:

If it's the car for him, then go get'm Tiger! :salute:

Yeah, being a small island you can pick up some low mileage cars from the rock! And they're all loaded out there so they're usually well maintained and cheap to buy!

I only looked as far as my insurance, but they were fine with insuring me on it to drive it back - as far as the tax and MOT go, I would have thought that if you have all the documents to say you've just bought it, and you're insured, then you *should* be OK tbh! Being the responsible moderator I am though I would have to recommend you speak to the DVLA to get concrete information on it though mate, make sure you know you're above board before driving it on public roads! :grin: